New Restoration Project

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

Vintmoto

New Restoration Project

Postby Vintmoto » Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:58 pm

Thought I would share A few photos of a 1966 Mk3 I recently finished. It took about 6 years of scrounging parts to get it all original. Runs great and pulls amazingly strong for a 250. I did two at the same time. I sold this one to fund the other. The other one is the same year (1966) but has rear sets and the Mach 1 style hump seat. I am still finishing a couple details on that one but will post photos once complete. Working on old Ducati's has been my therapy over the last 15 years or so. Would love to find a way to make a living working on these old bikes. We can always dream I guess.
DSCF0415.jpg
DSCF0389.jpg
DSCF0392.jpg
DSCF0393.jpg
DSCF0409-2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Vintmoto on Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:46 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Vintmoto

Re: New Restoration Project

Postby Vintmoto » Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:59 pm

And a few more shots.
DSCF0435.jpg
DSCF0424.jpg
DSCF0419.jpg
DSCF0417.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

a_kress

Postby a_kress » Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:30 pm

Looks great!

(I'm about 3 three years into mine and still have a loooonggg way to go!)
AKress
My little Monoster 250 Single http://akress.com/monoster.php
Subscribe to the Motorcycle Road Racing Calendar http://akress.com/
Twitter: a_kress http://twitter.com/a_kress
Instagram: a_kress http://instagram.com/a_kress

Samurai

Postby Samurai » Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:05 pm

Really great job mate!

Hope my little 175TS turns out half as good :D

Vintmoto

Postby Vintmoto » Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:52 pm

The secret is to try and get something done every week even if it is a small thing. The biggest challenge I had was finding original parts. I started with a correct frame, engine, damaged front fender and the correct rear tail light. All the rest of the parts were scrounged from Ebay, my friend Tom Bailey and trusted suppliers from around the world. Rich Lambrechts did the paint for me and that took forever as he was busy on other big projects. The good news with these bikes is that there are not a lot of parts. The bad news is that many are just really had to find. Veglia and drive, correct headlight, original smooth top triple tree and correct rear fender were all particularly difficult to find and in some cases, expensive.

howlndog

Postby howlndog » Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:11 pm

beautiful work... any chance you would share the paint colours (or codes) used.
Derek
'70 350 Mark 3D

double diamond

Postby double diamond » Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:27 pm

Is the seat original or replacement? If it's a replacement cover, someone did a very nice job on that.

Is your engine number an M1 series or M3? What's the engine serial number? Does the frame have a number stamped on it? Is the foil VIN tag on the frame the original? How is the model identification marked on the foil?

Your result is quite an accomplishment especially considering what you had to start with. I look forward to seeing your rearset version.

Matt

Moto Chuck

Postby Moto Chuck » Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:11 pm

Very nice restoration!! I would like to see pics of the other one as soon as it is ready.

I am curious if you see this bike as headed for being licensed for the street. Many years ago I ran my Mk 3 on the street with with an open megaphone but don't think I would risk it these days.

Vintmoto

Postby Vintmoto » Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:59 pm

The seat I found NOS some years ago and had it stashed away. The motor is a DM250M3 version. The serial number is 9514X. No vin stamp on the frame. The foil tag on the headstock is a repro I stamped to be correct. It is interesting that this bike has the old style kickstart mechanism and my other bike with a DM250M3 9994X serial number has the new wide case style kick start mechanism. Other than that they are identical.

Vintmoto

Postby Vintmoto » Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:07 pm

Both bikes are now licensed for the street. I have a Silentium I was running for a while, but once I realized the performance difference when running the megaphone, they have stayed on both bikes. Definitely sounds great as well and not as loud as you would think.

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”