New Member 1969 Scrambler owner

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

tonyduc

New Member 1969 Scrambler owner

Postby tonyduc » Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:10 am

Hello

Just joined the group, my first Bevel Ducati. I have a 69 Scrambler which sat for a long time, after cleaning the fuel system, she started right up and runs really smoothly. The clutch is frozen, any suggestions on how to proceed? I was going to open the case side which holds the clutch basket (right side?), then try and dissassemble the clutch to clean the plates. Is this a wet clutch? I have a couple of manuals but not much help for just servicing the clutch. The bike is original, all pieces are there and there's just some patina and surface rust - I am thinking of leaving it original rather than full restoration.

Thanks
Tony
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1967 Ducati 250 MK3
1976 Moto Guzzi T3
Former:
1969 Ducati Scrambler yellow

Jordan

Re: New Member 1969 Scrambler owner

Postby Jordan » Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:45 pm

To unlock the stuck clutch plates, I used to start the engine, hold the clutch in and engage a gear. That would most often free things up, if somewhat brutally.
Nowadays, in deference to the age, cost and difficulty of repairing broken gears, I'm inclined to agree with you. Remove the clutch cover instead, to access the clutch. With the cover off, it's a straightforward job to undo six screws. Then prise the plates apart, then reassemble. Watch the small pushrod parts don't drop out and get lost. You'll likely need a new gasket. There's a trick to easy removal of the cover. It's a wet clutch.
When I know the bike won't be used for a while, I use a timber wedge to keep the bottom clutch lever lifted a bit. Done it for years - no spring weakening evident, and it prevents the clutch from sticking solid.

Bevel bob

Postby Bevel bob » Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:04 pm

Sometimes you can free it by putting in top gear and with the clutch pulled in and rock back and forth. Don't know why a back movement is effective ,but it can be. To remove the cover a claw hammer levering inside the inspection cover works without damage.Watch out for kickstart shaft shim and spacer.

Nick

Postby Nick » Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:50 am

To free up stuck clutch: Start bike, push to get it rolling and snick it into gear, shift up to 2nd or 3rd, ride at about half throttle, pull clutch in and press on the rear brake.
Ride along like this with the rear brake applied and the clutch lever pulled in and the clutch should break loose.

Nice find! Great patina. Definitely don't 'restore' it.

Clutch is on left side.
Put a Mikuni on it!

tonyduc

Postby tonyduc » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:46 am

Thanks to all for the advice!
1967 Ducati 250 MK3
1976 Moto Guzzi T3
Former:
1969 Ducati Scrambler yellow

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”