175TS in UK

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

ranton_rambler

Re: 175TS in UK

Postby ranton_rambler » Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:51 pm

Pathetically small amount of progress this week, but our daughter has just bought her first house, thus a certain amount of time has been spent helping her sort a few things. Anyway,
- cleaned and tested brake light switch, seems OK. Fitted to bracket, and bracket to frame.
- fitted left-hand cover on the engine.
- fitted rear dampers. These were some new ones that came with the bike when I bought it.
- trial fitted new alloy rear mudguard, marked out and drilled fixing holes to mount to bike, and to fix number plate bracket. Just need a bit of alloy strip to make a bracket for the middle.
DSCF6014small.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ranton_rambler

Postby ranton_rambler » Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:16 pm

This week's progress:
- got hold of some alloy strip and finished off the rear mudguard
- turned the frame over and fitted the brake pedal and centre-stand
- fitted the head bearings (but need to take apart again as noted elsewhere), forks and steering damper
- my son was visiting for the weekend so I got him to help lift it off the bench onto the floor
- fitted both wheels
- then got him to help me lift the engine back into the frame - not heavy but a second person is useful to wiggle it about and put the bolts in
- fitted handlebar - 2 new ones came with the bike so I chose the slightly narrower one

PhilR

Postby PhilR » Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:20 pm

Ian, starting to look like its coming together. well done.

I am well behind you with my 125 sport, although I have got the engine bottom end together, which I feel is some real progress. Next problem is I find in my basket case of bits I am missing one valve, and now I find these are hard to source.. (7mm stems..)

Did get a quote for painting, which took my breath away.. I will be giving your contact a ring..

Keep up the good work.

Phil

ranton_rambler

Postby ranton_rambler » Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:56 pm

Phil - can you find another valve with 7mm stem that can be adapted, or maybe make some guides to take a different stem? But yes, getting the cases together for the last time does feel like a victory.

My progress this week:
- dropped steering stem back out and removed 1 ball top/bottom so we now have 24 as per the parts book.
- ordered a new carb - arrived next day. It's a Dell'orto PHBL24, brand-new from Eurocarb.
- fitted carb onto adapter. Direct replacement, just need to check clearance under tank.
- fitted kickstarter lever - seems to work with new quadrant supplied by Matt (double diamond) and coil spring conversion.
- filled up with oil and kicked over a few times until I could see it dribbling out of camshaft. Doesn't seem to leak (yet).
- built up temporary ignition system with bits lying around. It sparks when I kick it over, so hopefully have it running during the week.
DSCF6041small.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PhilR

Postby PhilR » Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:38 pm

even more progress, well done.

I managed to source some 7mm stem valves. EBay from Holland. this weekend's job is to grind them in and get head back together.

ranton_rambler

Postby ranton_rambler » Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:44 pm

After fitting a throttle control and cable, I dropped the tank on to check clearance to the new carb. All seems good, although the throttle doesn't return without assistance. Seems like too much friction so hopefully will loosen up.
I was let down by the non-arrival of my auxiliary fuel bottle so decided to give it a go with Easy Start spray. I don't really want to fit the tank and put any fuel in until I've sorted the wiring out.
Initially no sign of life, so I went back and re-checked the timing (was OK). Fitted a new HT lead, re-gapped the spark plug and off it went. Obviously only for a few seconds but I was happy with that.
Surprisingly hard to kick it over, but I think the left-side kickstarter seems awkward. It also has a good kickback!
After that, I put some oil in the forks and fitted the brake cables. Fork action seems very stiff, so again hopefully will loosen up.
Now looking at electrics - need to make a new loom.
DSCF6044small.jpg

Bevel bob

Postby Bevel bob » Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:03 am

Forks should not be stiff, maybe tight seals or bushes that will wear in, check axle not tight in fork leg needs to move to center itself. I had to junk a new stainless axle.

ranton_rambler

Postby ranton_rambler » Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:41 pm

One leg seemed a bit stiff when I put it together, but stanchion measured up OK. There are no bushes in these, as the stanchions run directly in the sliders. I'm reluctant to open up the bore of the slider so perhaps we'll see how it goes once I can ride it.

ranton_rambler

Postby ranton_rambler » Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:54 pm

Fuel bottle turned up on Monday but no chance to do anything until the weekend. Connected up and it started up pretty easily, and idled quite happily once I'd tweaked the carb a little.
No electrics on board yet, so I connected an H3 bulb to each of the generator wires. Glowing nicely and goes brighter with a few revs.
Electrics is next so I've ordered a reg-rec from Electrex and also dug out all the lights, switches etc so I can order some terminals, wire etc.

Bevel bob

Postby Bevel bob » Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:58 pm

Just remembered one of my legs was stiff,turned out to be bits of broken ball bearings from the damper valve that were floating around since the dampers were installed upside down by the "Singles expert" who "restored" the bike before I got it.

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”