175TS in UK

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

ducwiz

Re: 175TS in UK

Postby ducwiz » Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:11 am

- I remember having done a calculation for the camshaft nut's torque (w/c model), assuming yield strength of a mild steel (the nut) -> ~3-4 Nm. I apply the tab washer, and Loctite 272 thread locker as well.
- I always use additional sealant on the gaskets. This prevents them from sticking to either of both surfaces, which ater eases disassembly work. Some of the gaskets even may be used twice or more after cleaning (i. e. rocker coverss). And, this gives an extra safety for oil tightness. Many years ago my favourite was Red Hermetite from UK, today I use Curil K2 https://www.elring.de/fileadmin/Dateiablage_DE/2Service/Datenblaetter/Technische_Dichtmassen/Cruil_K2/TD_Curil_K2_EN_01.pdf
- I don't fix a loose top bevel bearing collar with Loctite. Instead, I put shim(s) with appropriate thickness between the side face of the bearing's outer race and the circular pedestal on top of the bevel shaft's protective sleeve. If thickness is adjusted properly, the collar is slightly pressed in to it's seat (axially) and in turn cannot move or make noise anymore. But it stays easily removable! The shims which are used to adjust the axial play between frame and swing arm (w/c models) may be used for this job, they have the matching outer diameter. Finally, you have to check the gasket between head and protective sleeve for correct thickness, as you want oil tightness as well as the axial pressure mentioned above. It may be necessary to prepare your own gasket by cutting it from gasket paper. Especially here, application of a sealing compound is mandatory.

If you regardlessly want to use Loctite to fix the collar, you should use a high temp. type, like 638 or 648.

cheers Hans

ranton_rambler

Postby ranton_rambler » Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:07 pm

Thanks Hans. I have some sealant I normally use, so that can go on. From my experience with Guzzis, I'll just smear some clean oil on the rocker cover and bevel cover gaskets, as they don't involve so much work to rectify if they leak.

Ian

ranton_rambler

Postby ranton_rambler » Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:25 pm

Just a quick update on my progress with my 175.
Got the crankshaft back from Nigel this week, incorporating a con-rod reworked by Alpha Bearings. Couldn't find a decent replacement rod anywhere so this seemed the best option.
Cases are all cleaned up and I just need to drill and tap the left case for fitting the later kickstart spring and get into the right frame of mind to reassemble it. I've not touched the oil pump yet.
While waiting for engine bits, a friend has dismantled the wheels. I've cleaned up the hubs while waiting for new spokes and rims. Hopefully they'll turn up soon and he can rebuild for me.
In the last few days I've stripped the frame right down and it'll be dropped off for powder coating on Tuesday (day off work!), along with main stand, swingarm etc.
Also made a tool to try and pull the forks apart. Seem to be quite stiff, but it's been standing for over 20 years so perhaps not surprising.

Bevel bob

Postby Bevel bob » Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:43 pm

A tool to pull the forks up into the top yoke will save an awful lot of swearing, A guy called Laurie sells bits on E-Bay that he makes and they are good and very reasonable.

ranton_rambler

Postby ranton_rambler » Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:22 pm

Just having a wee dram to celebrate/recover from pulling one of the fork stanchions out of its slider. Didn't want to move at all, so I had to rig up my rack-jack to get enough force. I'll do the other one tomorrow hopefully and then clean all the bits and see what I can re-use.

ranton_rambler

Postby ranton_rambler » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:38 pm

Brief update:
Got my fork stanchions back today, 4 months and 1 day since I sent them off. Still waiting for painted bits which went at about the same time, but am hopeful for later this week! Good reassembly session coming soon.
Motor is 95% back together and if I had a carburettor I could be tempted to try and slave up some electricity and start it. Let's hope it runs and doesn't leak too much oil.
Ian

ranton_rambler

Postby ranton_rambler » Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:52 pm

Haven't updated on my progress for a while, but if anyone's interested....I got the painted bits back just before going on holiday at the end of August and then haven't had much time to do anything until last week. I've put the forks back together, or at least the stanchions, sliders and bottom yoke. Re-arranged the other bikes to give me a bit of working room, and then got the frame down from where it was hanging on the wall. This afternoon I've fitted the new head races and swinging arm bushes. Should be able to progress fairly well now I think, but who knows what's lurking to surprise me?

Ian

motociclo

Postby motociclo » Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:06 am

I would like to see some pictures or progress of the assembly.. I know there are many of us that have been following your project all this time, especially those of us with 'early' bikes. The only 175's I have seen here (Los Angeles) have been imported by collectors and parts are non existent. 200's are found once in a blue moon, and are usually in bad shape. Keep up the good work and continue inspiring us to do the same!

ranton_rambler

Postby ranton_rambler » Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:30 pm

Your wish is my command...
I've only had a few hours this week so have not achieved much.
- Got the powdercoated swingarm out and cleaned the excess coating out of the bores and off the shock absorber pins. Latter was my mistake for not masking them off, although I did cover the threaded bits. Had to do the pins on the frame too.
- Realised the new swingarm pin was not supplied with a cross-hole for the locking screw. First attempt to drill it and I found out that it was really hard and normal HSS drill bits wouldn't even mark it. Found some carbide-tipped bits and took it to work and did it in the big pillar drill in the workshop there.
- Tight fit through the frame and swingarm so pulled it in with a length of M12 threaded bar and nuts/washers. The swingarm feels really stiff, but hopefully will loosen up a bit once it's in use.
- I wonder if I should have fitted a second grease nipple on the right-hand side and put some grooves in the bushes so the grease can actually get where it's needed? This is the earlier version with the bushes in the frame.
- Fitted the new points and condenser and then tried to time the ignition with my home-made piston stop and degree disc. Realised that I'd put the advance mechanism in 180 degrees out so swapped it over.
DSCF5996small.jpg
DSCF5995small.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

motociclo

Postby motociclo » Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:28 am

Looks great! The Blue and silver will look nice on that grey base. I've reversed the advance unit a couple times.. some good backfires and kickbacks to be had.

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”