175TS in UK

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

ranton_rambler

Re: 175TS in UK

Postby ranton_rambler » Fri May 24, 2019 5:07 pm

20 miles today without getting the tools out. On the positive side it seems to steer well, motor is quite keen and overall quite entertaining although I am limiting speed to about 50mph until it’s got a few more miles on.
First list of things to improve:
Seat comfort is terrible. Not sure I’d fancy a round-the-world trip on it.
Shift pedal doesn’t seem to ‘reset’ itself on up shifts sometimes.
Fuel spitting out of vent hole in cap.

I am ignoring the oil leaks at the moment....

Samurai

Postby Samurai » Sat May 25, 2019 8:35 am

Hi Ian,

Congratulations! It's a great feeling isn't it?

I just found the solution to the fuel coming out of the breather hole I think. I did have a normal O-ring inside the cap to hold the inner plastic domed section and to try and form a seal for the tank. However, I noticed on the Bevelrubber site that their cap had a leather seal. My wife is a leather worker so I was able to nick a fairly thick piece and fashion a wide seal. Bingo, so far no more leaks!

What carb settings did you end up with out if interest?

I too am gradually extending the range of my rides, having had a couple of instances where the tools had to come out or I linked home!

Taking the bike on a 60 mile round trip this morning to visit the wonderful Moto Corsa and Newt Cafe in Gillingham, Dorset. My wife is accompanying me on her 600 Monster, which will be only her second outing this year!

Agree about the seat, although I seem to be able to manage about an hour at a time. An Airhawk seat is a must for the Moto Giro though I reckon, although my wife is going on an automotive upholstery course next week, so she may be able to do something with the original plank of wood after that.

Happy riding!

ranton_rambler

Postby ranton_rambler » Sun May 26, 2019 7:05 am

My fuel cap has a leather seal, but is missing the inner piece, which I think is why fuel spits out of the little vent hole.
I am in the middle of making a new seat. Was always on the list but not got round to it before. I’ve got a gel pad somewhere as a temporary fix.

ranton_rambler

Postby ranton_rambler » Sun May 26, 2019 8:44 pm

Checked on carb settings in my notes - carb is 24mm, pilot 35, atomiser 266, needle D29, main 104. Higher compression "Sport" piston fitted.
At about half throttle in top, we're doing 50mph according to the speedo. Hopefully will be good for 70+ once run in.
Not sure about speedo accuracy - will check against GPS one day.

ranton_rambler

Postby ranton_rambler » Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:23 pm

A few things from last couple of weeks:
Checked speedometer against GPS on my phone and it's reading about 10% higher than true speed.
Fixed a couple of oil leaks, but the 2 that remain are the "175" cam end cover and the joint between the bevel tower and the head. I might leave them for now and just keep wiping the oil off after each ride.
Adjusted the eccentric screw on the selector box and the gear shifting is all good now. Previously needed a nudge to reset it after up-shifts.
Fiddled about with main jets this afternoon as it seems to run out of steam at about 65mph. Richer seems to make it a bit better but haven't seen more than 70mph yet. No more bigger jets to try unless I buy some more. How fast are these supposed to go?
I'm hoping the ear-splitting brake squeal will disappear when the shoes are bedded-in a bit more.

Ian

Samurai

Postby Samurai » Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:58 pm

Hi Ian,

The factory manual lists the top speed of the 175TS as 110 kph which is about 68 mph. The best that I have been clocked at, by my son following on a modern bike with a digital Speedo, was 74 mph. However, this was downhill on a dual carriageway with a long run up and no headwind, so don't expect the earth.

On the flat, with a moderate headwind, I seem to top out around 60 mph (using my reasonably well calibrated bicycle Speedo). The bike's speedo tends to wave a cheery, vague approximation of speed and becomes more and more wildly optimistic as speed increases :lol:

On average, I'm finding that with my new CEV speedo drive, it is about 10mph out over the whole range, but that may well be down to its gearing.

ranton_rambler

Postby ranton_rambler » Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:47 pm

Just a quick update on my 175,

Having got it registered and on the road in May, I've done about 700 miles now. Even went out today for a ride although the rain set in, so I headed for home a bit sooner than planned.

I've done a number of local VMCC club runs, commuting to work and general mucking about.

In terms of problems:
The main battery supply wire fell off the fuse box on a run, in the pouring rain of course. That’s been crimped up a bit tighter and hasn’t recurred.
More serious was the rear brake return spring that broke. The pieces rattled about inside and locked the wheel up, although only at low speed.
Comfort for longer trips on the original seat was terrible. I decided to attempt to build something with some decent foam in. I made up a simple steel base, glued some “recon” foam onto it and then stitched up a cover from some vinyl left over from my Guzzi SP seat.

The VMCC Levis Cup was my last decent outing on it, which was about 90 miles of dirty little lanes round Herefordshire. It really showed that the bike has given me what I was looking for when I built it. Lightweight, nimble and fast enough to keep up with the traffic.

I've got a couple of oil leaks to attend to over the winter, but there are more pressing Guzzi-related jobs to do first.

Ian

ranton_rambler

Postby ranton_rambler » Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:26 am

It's been a while since I've put anything on here about my little bike. It's not been used much since local VMCC outing on New Year's Day, mainly due to persistent wet weather we had in UK, until we all got locked in!

We're up to just over 800 miles now, and as I'm stuck at home I've just ordered some oil and will give it a good service and sort out some details I didn't do properly when I first got it on the road.
Whilst I was cleaning it the other day I found a couple of small issues:
1. Front wheel spindle seemed to have backed itself off. I could feel some movement when I was polishing the wheel rims. I released the pinch bolt and nipped up the nut a bit and all seems OK. I wonder if it was just the new paint relaxing under the nut?
2. Brake light is only working intermittently. I think the switch is original so was going to try and bend the tabs back carefully and open it up.

93565933_3181314058559219_6232937006167490560_o.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ranton_rambler

Postby ranton_rambler » Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:13 am

Done most of the service now, just got to drop the oil out today. Inlet valve clearance seemed to have opened up a bit, but exhaust had not changed. Clearances seem much closer on the small engines compared to the values quoted in the recent Mach 1 thread. My book says 0.06mm inlet, 0.08mm exhaust.
There are one or 2 very minor oil weeps, one of which is from the cam end cover on the left. Opposite end to bevel gears. My camshaft has a roll pin in the end (fitted before I got it) which means I can only get a very slender rod up there, maybe 2.5mm. Is there another way to get it off without butchering it?
Ian

Duccout

Postby Duccout » Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:28 am

Ian, the only other way that I have found to work is to put the engine at tdc, undo the camshaft nut and tap the cam out, pushing the end cap out at the same time. It is a PITA, but does not risk damaging anything and if you are lucky you will not even have to loosen off the valve clearaces.

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”