175TS in UK

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

ranton_rambler

Re: 175TS in UK

Postby ranton_rambler » Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:43 pm

Managed my first short ride yesterday, first time it's moved under its own power since before 1995. Since it's not registered I only went down the village and back, but gears seem to select OK and no nasty noises.
Still a few things to finish off, the biggest of which is getting the charging sorted. Bought a puller so will strip the generator down in the next few days.

PhilR

Postby PhilR » Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:23 pm

well done. Nice day for it too. Will be interested on how you get on with the Electrex generator. thinking about one for my 125..

Buster

Postby Buster » Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:44 pm

I have Electrex alternator fitted to my 350 and 250. Always a fully charged battery, good lights, excellent.
My 350 was original 6v, I fitted an led headlight and noticed it pulsing at low revs, fitted the 12v conversion, no pulsing.
(I admit I live near where they are made but I have no connection, just a happy rider!)
Buster.

Samurai

Postby Samurai » Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:51 pm

I finally gave up and fitted a complete Electrex World ignition kit and it solved all the electrical gremlins that I'd been chasing around over the last year, replacing component by component.

It was straightforward to fit, with good, clear instructions and not only do I now have a really strong, consistent spark, but the batter charges at a rock-steady rate too!

I kept mine as 6v, as I wanted to stay as faithful to the original spec as possible, bit getting 12v is simply a matter of cutting the blue wire on the rectifier and fitting 12v bulbs and compatible fuses.
Last edited by Samurai on Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ranton_rambler

Postby ranton_rambler » Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:18 pm

Progress with the charging, although ran out of time this evening to fully check. Stripped down, disconnected the earth inside the stator as per the 12V conversion article I found somewhere on here, put back together and we now get a raised voltage at the battery when running. I was loathe to spend £200 on an Electrex kit without one more shot, so fingers crossed...

ranton_rambler

Postby ranton_rambler » Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:28 pm

Struggling to get the last bits finished over the last few weeks. I think the charging is probably OK, but until I can get it running nicely it’s hard to be sure. It’s been hard to start from cold, with a tendency to kick back so decided to retard the timing a shade. Not so easy as the plate was at the end of the slots. Perhaps I’ve got something mistimed, but for the moment I’ve closed the points gap a bit and it’s a bit better. But won’t idle since I fitted the air filter. Seems very rich so I’ve got some smaller pilot jets (35 & 40) to try in place of the 50 in there now. Latest trick is launching the folding kickstart pedal off. First time I lost the circlip, so bought a few spares. Second time I lost the little detent ball. Lucky it’s a light bike and my drive has a slope so I can bump start it instead. Hopefully we’ll get some decent weather over the weekend and I can carry on.
Also had my first attempt at registering it rejected by DVLA - wrong digit on NOVA form. Fixed now so fingers crossed.

Bevel bob

Postby Bevel bob » Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:02 am

I suspect you have the 40 watt alternator. It will likely work ok for daylight use. With a new battery and minimal night time running with poor lighting you could go for years like that. I did. If you ride in areas with good streetlights some bright LED low consumption bulbs may make you more visable. Just don't expect to see up a dark road.

ranton_rambler

Postby ranton_rambler » Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:51 pm

Still struggling to get it to run right. Swapped to a 40 idle jet and it starts reasonably OK and idles, but won't take more than about 1/4 throttle before it dies. Often accompanied by spitting back through the carb. I thought it was too rich with the air cleaner fitted as it seemed OK before, so bought some smaller atomisers but they made no difference. So I think there is something else amiss. Static timing is set to 15 BTDC, which I think is correct. Checked with strobe and seems OK. Does anyone know when the automatic advance starts, and how much advance to expect? Doesn't seem to be doing much, but I can't get it rev it much at the moment.
You can see why those "unfinished projects" appear in the magazine adverts!

Buster

Postby Buster » Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:47 pm

Throttle valve cutaway too big?

DBDBrian

Postby DBDBrian » Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:34 pm

Hi Ian, the figures quoted in Ducati Manual for the 175 TS, 12 - 15 Degrees Static, Extent of auto advance 28 Degrees,
Total advance at 3000 RPM 40 - 43 Degrees.
HTH
Brian
Brian
Made in England

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”