175TS in UK

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

ranton_rambler

Re: 175TS in UK

Postby ranton_rambler » Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:03 pm

Got a letter from Ducati UK today with a production date of 3rd March 1957, following my enquiry through Ducati website and subsequent correspondence with a nice lady at Ducati Wolverhampton. Hopefully DVLA will accept....

Ventodue

Postby Ventodue » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:30 am

ranton_rambler wrote:Got a letter from Ducati UK today with a production date of 3rd March 1957 ...

Interesting, given that the consensus amongst the published sources is that the TS model didn't even exist at that date :o .

Someone's not got it right ... :?

ranton_rambler

Postby ranton_rambler » Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:14 pm

Must have been in stock for a while...
I was a bit surprised to get the letter as the indication from her previously had been that it was too old to be on computer records and they weren't really interested.

Samurai

Postby Samurai » Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:01 pm

Well that could be interesting. I've got a dating certificate from Mick Walker for my '1959' 175 TS. I might see if Ducati can drag up a date for it and see if they come up with the same year!?

Do you have to pay a fee?

ranton_rambler

Postby ranton_rambler » Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:39 pm

I haven't paid any fee. My initial approach was through the Contact Us link on the Ducati website, but the letter came from Ducati UK.
I have also sent an enquiry to Livio Lodi but no answer yet. I emailed Livio before the letter arrived.
Itching to start work on the bike but still doing my penance for buying it!

Ventodue

Postby Ventodue » Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:20 am

ranton_rambler wrote:... and they weren't really interested.

Shock me! :shock:

ranton_rambler

Postby ranton_rambler » Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:26 pm

I've spent a few hours going through the boxes of bits and loosely put most of the parts back on so I can see what I need to buy, and what needs repairing/painting/plating etc. Not gone inside the engine yet, apart from taking the head off to check the timing before measuring the valve timings. Still trying to decide whether to go for a original looking rebuild, or to make it a but more trail-style. I'm not a big fan of the valanced mudguards.
DSCF2900small.jpg

I have a few bits that don't match the parts manual if anyone can identify them:

I am guessing the thing on the left is a rectifier/regulator but I haven't looked at the wiring diagram yet.
The thing at the top is some kind of rotary switch - can't see anything like it in the book.
The thing on the right is presumably a locking device?

Also - the carb is an MB22 with 2 cable entry points. One of them operates the throttle slide, which is stuck in place by loads of crud. The other is locked off on top of the carb. There would be no room under the tank to get a cable in. The parts books shows a little lever on the RH handlebar but I don't have this. For cold starting device?

DSCF2896small.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Ventodue

Postby Ventodue » Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:04 pm

ranton_rambler wrote:I am guessing the thing on the left is a rectifier/regulator, but I haven't looked at the wiring diagram yet.

Yup. I can't see it in the 175TS parts book ( :? ), but you can find it illustrated (for example) in the 250 parts book.

ranton_rambler wrote:The thing at the top is some kind of rotary switch - can't see anything like it in the book.

Rear brake light switch. Altho' not the same model as shown in the parts book, it's the type that was common fitment on many singles e.g 160 Monza Junior. Activated by a spring that goes thru a small hole in the rod, something like this:

ranton_rambler wrote:The thing on the right is presumably a locking device?

Sorry, don't recognise that one!

ranton_rambler wrote:... the carb is an MB22 with 2 cable entry points. One of them operates the throttle slide ... The other is locked off on top of the carb. There would be no room under the tank to get a cable in. For cold starting device?

Yes, should look like this:

But, that said, I see there was also a lever operated version that looked like this:

I see that a replacement top complete with lever can be had from Paddy Ducati:

Or this version from Eurocarb:

ranton_rambler wrote:The parts books shows a little lever on the RH handlebar but I don't have this

Hmmm. Can't help you with that, I'm afraid. Maybe the simplest answer would be to fit a new lever operated top? Dunno ...

ranton_rambler

Postby ranton_rambler » Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:39 pm

Thanks as usual. I'll have to find some information on how to test the regulator, although will probably convert to 12V anyway.

There is a new rear brake light switch in one of the boxes - looks like an aftermarket one which will clamp onto the cable and the swinging arm. The rear lamp is also different from the one in the parts book, but seems to be a common one from looking at photos.

Do I need the choke? There is a tickler on the float chamber?

Ventodue

Postby Ventodue » Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:45 am

Yup, I don't think I'd consider re-installing that reg/rec :? . Modern replacements available from (for example) Bary Jones; but check compatibility with the charging system. These bikes function ok on 6 volts, btw - unless you want blazing lights, that is ...

Good chance the original brake light switch ain't working no more - and replacements seem to be getting hard to find. (Be careful: they work the opposite way round from the wide-case type. Your type pull 'on, they push 'on'). Your rear light does, as you say, look like the more common n/case type (another little indication that your bike is later than you've been led to believe ... 8-) )

Don't know whether you need both choke and the tickler. If no-one else chimes in, Ducati Paddy would most like know.

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”