175TS in UK

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

ranton_rambler

Re: 175TS in UK

Postby ranton_rambler » Wed Dec 26, 2018 2:55 pm

Minimal progress since last update, but decided to bite the bullet and take the forks apart and try and sort the stiffness. This morning I took the wheel out and I can feel that it's only the right-hand side that is sticky, so that leg is currently sitting while the oil drains out and I think about how to 'polish' the inside of the slider a little. Favourite idea so far is a bit of Scothbrite wrapped round a piece of dowel.
Otherwise all I've done is to draw up a wiring diagram to incorporate the new reg-rec and a modern fuse box.

What's the expectation on how oil-tight these should be? I filled it up with oil a month ago and this morning I could see that there were 2 drips "hanging" on the underside of the crankcase, and maybe 1 drip on the floor. One leak seems to be from the oil filter on the left-hand side, so I think I can sort that. The other must be leaking from the gasket between the cases, somewhere up the back. I didn't use anything except a smear of oil on the gasket.

Ian

double diamond

Postby double diamond » Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:20 am

Depending upon the condition of the center case gasket surface, a leak can originate there. More likley is the oil filter. If the surface on the case or the brass plug are gouged, oil will find its way past. The aluminum sealing washers require an undamaged surface to seal. Fiber washers work better on damaged surfaces.

Matt

ducwiz

Postby ducwiz » Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:16 am

Best working for me allways have been the bonded seals https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bonded_seal. They work on rough surfaces, are reusable, do not sag, are even pressure-tight and available with an inner or outer seal, in metric and imperial dimensions.

chees Hans

double diamond

Postby double diamond » Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:06 am

Parker Hannefin product, known as “Stat-O-Seal” in the US. But I‘m not aware of one narrow enough for use in this application. But could trim one down to fit if necessary.

Matt

ranton_rambler

Postby ranton_rambler » Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:31 am

I think most people in UK would know them as Dowty washers, but I'll try a fibre washer when I drop the oil out after a few miles.
Forks seem better after stripdown, so I'm making cables now.
Ian

Jordan

Postby Jordan » Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:18 pm

In Europe they might be using Usit rings.
Generically they are called bonded seals, as the rubber is bonded to a metal washer.
Stat-o-seals have a wider range of sizes than Dowty, down to 5mm internal diameter.

I've made custom seals, not bonded, but using the principle of a rubber seal (O-ring) inside a metal washer that allows tightening without destroying the soft material.
This let me tailor the thickness of the washers to get the desired final orientation of some fuel taps.

ranton_rambler

Postby ranton_rambler » Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:50 am

Bit of a gap since last update:
Polished fork slider and stanchion and seems better when put back together.
Front wheel was off centre so fitted a shim to sort it out. Bevel shaft shims are the right diameter.
Made up all of the control cables from Venhill kits.
Clutch was really heavy but also realised the pressure plate was not engaged with the hub. Taken one pair of plates out for now. Let's see if it slips when I get it on the road.
Throttle not returning so fitted a different twistgrip and fiddled with spring in carburettor. Better but not perfect.
Fitted various electrical components and bought the wire and terminals to make a loom. Will be 12 Volt with modern fusebox.
Ian

ranton_rambler

Postby ranton_rambler » Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:24 pm

Finished all the wiring and connected battery up last weekend. Everything works but doesn't charge. Alternator makes electricity, at least enough to light an H3 bulb connected across to earth from each wire. But doesn't seem to suit the new Reg-Rec unit. Unless I have any new ideas, I'll be ordering an Electrex generator kit. On the positive side, I can get to measure up the clutch bits to work out which bit is wrong.....

Also struggling with the chain today. New chain bought to length shown in Parts Book, but is too long. The adjusters run out of thread whilst the chain is still too slack. Took a link out and was then too short!
Ian

DSCF5702small.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ducwiz

Postby ducwiz » Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:40 pm

ranton_rambler wrote:Finished all the wiring and connected battery up last weekend. Everything works but doesn't charge. Alternator makes electricity, at least enough to light an H3 bulb connected across to earth from each wire. But doesn't seem to suit the new Reg-Rec unit. Unless I have any new ideas, I'll be ordering an Electrex generator kit ...

So, which R-R you have finally chosen?

Hans

ranton_rambler

Postby ranton_rambler » Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:36 pm

Electrex RR163 fitted, with loop wire cut so it runs 12V. The bike came with a combined reg-rec (black brick) but diodes were dead. I think it must have been a later addition as the lighting switch had the wires for swapping over between different generator coils, but they were disconnected and taped up.
Ian

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”