Debris in Tank

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

Old Cog

Debris in Tank

Postby Old Cog » Mon May 01, 2017 12:35 pm

Hi All

I'm trying to clean out the petrol tank of my wide case 250. I've drained the patrol and removed the taps. When I tilt the tank forward and back I hear lots of dry- sounding crud rolling from end to end within the tank. However, opening the filler cap and turning the tank upside down does not release a shower of crud onto the bench. Even tilting the tank every which way does no good: you can hear stuff rolling around in there but nothing comes out. The trouble is that a cylindrical sleeve projects for about an inch and a half from the filler hole into the tank. I guess it's to prevent splashes when filling or spillage when cranked over on a bend, but when the tank is upended it forms a perimeter "wall" around the filler hole preventing crud etc from dropping out. (It's a bit like trying to recover your plectrum when you've dropped it inside your guitar, but worse.)

As far as I can see, every bit of advice about rolling stones or nuts and bolts around inside the tank hits the same problem - how to get the last few "over" the wall and out the filler hole - so there must be something simple I'm missing. Can that sleeve be removed? And if so, how?

Thanks in anticipation

Brian

bodge

Re: Debris in Tank

Postby bodge » Mon May 01, 2017 3:37 pm

no chance of attaching a section of hose to a hoover and sucking it out ?just a thought.
ive used water/garden hose before now to blast it through with the taps off and or just repeatedly part fill a tank and then invert it while shaking it vigorously you get a little bit of crud out each time but pretty messy/wet and time consuming

Old Cog

Postby Old Cog » Mon May 01, 2017 4:06 pm

Thanks Bodge

I've tried the vacuum - a compact one with a hose I could get right inside - albeit with a 1400 watt motor. I didn't have much success but will try again with a reduced diameter hose gaffer-taped onfor more suction andmore control.

I used to be ale to bodge things too, but I think I've lost the knack. :cry:

bodge

Postby bodge » Mon May 01, 2017 4:44 pm

gaffer tape ? obviously a high end bodger !
i doubt youve lost the knack just the inclination.you can tell its a bank holiday as i was bored enough to do this,
IMAG0282.jpg

top of a pizza box rolled round the hoover pipe then rolled into cone (gloossy side inside to maximize airflow and minimize frictional losses :roll: ) fixed and sealed to piece of garden hose with pound shop masking tape(none of youre high fallutin gaffer tape ere)
using my knock off enry (wattage unknown)powerful enough to suck up a 6mm ball bearing.i know cos i tried it, like a proper boffin :geek:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”