Stalling out

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

Mike

Stalling out

Postby Mike » Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:23 am

Hi - I've got a peculiar problem with my dm250 that would benefit from some advice, as I'm on a learning curve again..

Last year, in an attempt to improve the running of my ongoing Monza project, I installed the sasche digital ignition and an Amal 626. The bike starts beautifully - better than it has ever started, and idles well. Running the engine on the centrestand, it sounds good and strong.

However, snicking the bike into first gear, it pulls along the level driveway just nicely, then as the road begins to climb a hill (guessing about 1:7) and the load on the motor increases due to the gradient, it cuts out (kinda feels like fuel starvation), regardless of any compensation with the throttle (in fact, I now realise that the clutch I burnt out last year is probably directly related to a ham-fisted brute force attempt to overcompensate for this issue).

Thinking that it could be the needle position, I've just raised the needle to the third of three positions (was previously in the second of three), but the problem still persists.

I've also tried removing the air filter, in case it was being overly restrictive, no significant improvement.

Being more used to fuel injection, I'm a little out of my depth here, and not sure where to start troubleshooting and/or adjusting. I'm also not clear if the problem is carb or ignition, though I suspect it's probably carb (on the basis that it was idling and running just fine on the centrestand).

Also - from this post - viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2289&hilit=amal+626 I see there is talk of different main jet sizes. Should I be aiming to change that ?

Thanks,
Mike

CaptonZap

Re: Stalling out

Postby CaptonZap » Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:49 pm

90% of carburetor problems are electrical. :idea:
First rule of trouble shooting is; If it was running good before you messed with it, what ever you were messing with is probably the problem.
Sounds like an ignition problem to me. ;)

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”