Electronic ignition

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

Madman

Electronic ignition

Postby Madman » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:42 pm

I am considering an electronic ignition system for my 250 nc. The bike is just a road bike an will never be raced or used in competition.
I had set my heart on the Sachse 3.10, but my bike is 12 volts and they only make that for 6 volts now due to a few problems that owners have has. I see no point in spending the extra for the Sachse 3.12 with 10 advance curves as I would not know which one to use so it is more cost for something that I don't need.
What other systems are around? I have seen something that incorporates a more powerful generator, and perhaps that is the one to go for, but could other owners please let me know what system they have and how reliable it is?

Bob T

Jordan

Re: Electronic ignition

Postby Jordan » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:21 pm

I described a hybrid system here a year ago, but it might only appeal if you have some machine tools and a masochistic streak.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2237&p=16822&hilit=electronic+ignition#p16822

ecurbruce

Postby ecurbruce » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:21 pm

Hi Bob T,
Are you looking for plug-and-play, or are you crafty, or interested in modifying equipment, or fabrication? Pertronics has a product that can be made to work, also dynatec, and Boyer Bransden. I created my own hybrid 12 volt system that's been quite reliable, if you want to go down that rabbit hole, I could describe that.

Bruce

pear0

Postby pear0 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:23 am

Check out Powerdynamo. Not cheap but a great system. Instant idle . Easy starting. TomA

Madman

Postby Madman » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:24 am

Thanks for the pointers guys.
ecurbruce, I have scoured the names that you have given me and it seems that they all offer great products. The most interesting for me is the Boyer Branson. I phoned them and talked to an engineer, who was extremely helpful, he recommends their Kit 00051 which will require the plate that fits inside the points housing to be turned down. I will look into that.
The Petronics Igniter 3 also looks like a nice system but it is easier for me to deal with a European company.

Bob T

ducwiz

Postby ducwiz » Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:13 am

pear0 wrote:Check out Powerdynamo. Not cheap but a great system. Instant idle . Easy starting. TomA

Not recommended. If you want to change your ignition timing, you have to open the primary drive, dismount the clutch, then extract and reposition the rotor. Having this done, you will put all parts back, close cover, and check the new timing. But: start over the procedure, if timing was wrong.
The reason for this nonsense is the mounting of the ignition pickup directly on the stator plate, inside the engine case.
Other systems have it positioned at it's genuine place, replacing the contact points plate.

cheers Hans

Madman

Postby Madman » Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:52 am

Good to know, thanks Hans.

pear0

Postby pear0 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:57 am

Powerdynamo . I made a piston stop and got an exact TDC and set the timing . That means you don't have to change it. Bike runs great. Recommended. TomA

Madman

Postby Madman » Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:15 am

From my research on this subject it seems that once set up none of them should ever need changing, but with the pickup inside the points housing it would make fitting easier and should fine tuning at a later stage simple.

Vintmoto

Postby Vintmoto » Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:07 am

I also like the Powerdynamo units. I have them installed into two 1966 mark mark 3s and thy are both easy starters with smooth idle and no battery just like the original. Plus I have 100 watts of 12 volt power for the lights. The hardest part of setting up these systems is finding TDC. It is a no brainer if you can do that. The computer controlled advance can also be tweaked if you are the tinkering type with different advance curves. I stuck with stock and have been very pleased.

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”