Electronic ignition

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

DaveSmith

Re: Electronic ignition

Postby DaveSmith » Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:16 am

I bought one from Electrex and haven't had any problems with it. I've got a 250 nc that's road use. I'll be updating my lights front/tail this spring or summer.

Madman

Postby Madman » Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:11 am

I still have my eye on the Sachse for its simplicity. If I fit that then nothing apart from the points need to be disturbed.
I have no need for a bigger alternator as I will never ride the 250 at night, I have an 848 for that. The 250 has an LED rear light and an LED parking light which satisfies the legal need to ride with lights on.

halfpast

Postby halfpast » Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:45 pm

This is a timely thread as I have just purchased a Powerdynamo kit for my 250 Monza. Question to those that have installed it:

Any tips for finding TDC? What kind of piston stop did you use?

Thanks in advance.

graeme

Postby graeme » Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:41 am

A soft alloy piston stop that can be finely adjusted and you are best doing it with a degree wheel so you can see where you are at TDC

DaveSmith

Postby DaveSmith » Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:59 am

Oh, I'm on the dumb side. I'll ride it at night. I have an LED tail light around somewhere and I'll hit up the wrecking yard to find a light that will fit in place. A bit of sacrilege, but I love riding singles. I'm up in the air if I keep the Velocette and attach a sidecar or if I will be normal and get something reliable with a sidecar.

Madman

Postby Madman » Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:09 am

I made a piston stop from a spark plug that I removed the ceramic from. It leaves a hollow plug that you can fit a soft headed bolt into. The degree wheel can be printed off from any number of websites.

Madman

Postby Madman » Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:11 am

DaveSmith wrote:Oh, I'm on the dumb side. I'll ride it at night. I have an LED tail light around somewhere and I'll hit up the wrecking yard to find a light that will fit in place. A bit of sacrilege, but I love riding singles. I'm up in the air if I keep the Velocette and attach a sidecar or if I will be normal and get something reliable with a sidecar.

Leave the lights as standard, just fit led bulbs into those lights. LEDs cope much better with vibration and consume virtually no electricity.

Jordan

Postby Jordan » Sat Apr 01, 2017 1:54 am

Madman wrote:The degree wheel can be printed off from any number of websites.

I use an old LP record for a timing disc.
A paper print can be glued to it.
It's important to have an appropriate record. Mine is the Village People - Can't Stop the Music.

DBDBrian

Postby DBDBrian » Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:56 am

I would have thought something by the Three Degrees would be more suitable.
Brian
Made in England

Jordan

Postby Jordan » Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:24 pm

"Time Is On My Side" would probably work well too.

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”