ducati mk3 450 tank mounting

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

mikkele

ducati mk3 450 tank mounting

Postby mikkele » Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:45 pm

hi. can someone help me with this. i,ve got 1972 mk3 450, with european style touring tank. i think that petrol tank rear mounting should be with 2 springs.it,s quite rear model and i haven,t found those springs anywhere. i could buy those if i knew measurements of those springs. so does someone know. greetings mika

DewCatTea-Bob

Re: ducati mk3 450 tank mounting

Postby DewCatTea-Bob » Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:02 am

" i,ve got 1972 mk3 450, with european style touring tank. i think that petrol tank rear mounting should be with 2 springs. "

____ Welcome as our newest member, Mika!
Do you have any pix -(pictures) of it, to show us here?
__ I believe that the rear-retainer that you actually need, is a rubber-band.
I've found a good & cheap substitute for the original/stock strap-band, to be a vacuum-cleaner drive-band...
It's a black rubber-band about 4" (100mm) in diameter (when laying unstretched), and 5/16" (8mm) thick.
The retainer rubber-band is meant to be wrapped-around the frame's back-bone (at the rear of the tank) and then each end looped-over one of the two nipples on the rear-side of the fuel-tank.
__ Please keep us updated on how your search for any tank-retainer for the required job, goes for you.

Hopeful-Cheers,
-Bob
PLEASE NOTE... If this-post is not-yet signed-off with '-Bob', then I'm still in the process of completing it,, and if not also included with 'DCT' near bottom as well, then I may edit this post's wording at a later time. - Dct.Bob

mikkele

Postby mikkele » Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:54 pm

hi bob. if you got tom baileys book ducati singles first person, look at page 124 . 450 cafe. that is same tank as i have. it,s almost same as mach 1 tank, but rear mounting is different. i believe that mach 1 used one spring at rear of tank, but mine has 2 little brackets under tank at rear side. it looks like it needs 2 short srings, something like an inc and 1/4. i think that ducati made that model only from end of 71 to 72, and only 450 non desmo one. i will try to take some pictures maybe later. cheers mika

DewCatTea-Bob

Postby DewCatTea-Bob » Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:38 pm

" i believe that mach 1 used one spring at rear of tank, but mine has 2 little brackets under tank at rear side. "

____ The old narrow-case Mk3/GT/M-1 fuel-tank did use 1 coil-spring (along with a flat slotted bracket).
__ Seems it would be helpful to SEE a pic of that area of your tank, showing the "2 little brackets" which you're referring to as needing a pair of "springs".

" i think that ducati made that model only from end of 71 to 72, and only 450 non desmo one. "

____ That you think that leads me to wonder what country you're in!? - Canada?
Cuz the U.S.A. got 450-models much as you've described (from Italy), for the 1974 model-year only.
And so far as I know, 1970 was the last year when Ducati last used any 'spring' to retain the rear-end of the gas-tank.
__ I'm still thinking that you could simply use a rubber-band for the job. _ (Along with a rubber-pad placed underneath the rear of your tank.)

Hopeful-Cheers,
-Bob
PLEASE NOTE... If this-post is not-yet signed-off with '-Bob', then I'm still in the process of completing it,, and if not also included with 'DCT' near bottom as well, then I may edit this post's wording at a later time. - Dct.Bob

Jon Pegler

Postby Jon Pegler » Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:06 pm

I'm familiar with the tank that you are using, as I used one myself on a special that I built a few years ago.
I found that even with the spring clip underneath, the tank sat too low and the bottom of the tank did not align with the bottom of the seat.
You cannot fit the rubber straps or the spring clips from the earlier or later tanks as there are no lugs welded onto the back of the tank to take them.
I ended up cheating and fitting about 2 inches of high density foam between the underside of the tank and the spine of the frame. Not ideal, but at least the tank sat right and was insulated from some of the vibration. The front was secured using two bolts through the two tabs that extend forward to the headstock.

Jon

mikkele

Postby mikkele » Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:29 pm

hi. i live in scandinavia in finland. You can see that mk3 450 touring model also in mick walkers ducati singles restoration book. ducati tried to make touring model in whitch they used that old 31,5mm front forks. according to walker it was available only 450 size. you can see few exambles in walkers ducati singles book too. Some touring models used valanced mudguards, and seat was different as 1970 mk3;s or desmos. i know that regular 1972 model was silver shotgun, but they also made this model. i believe, that it was quite rare low numbers model. cheers mika

JimF
Site Admin

Postby JimF » Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:34 pm

List member Dan has this tank as well on his 450. It's got a Mach 1/Mark 3 look but the real advantage to this particular tank is that the 'valley' under the tank is wide enough to straddle a 450's gusseted frame.

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”