Borgo wire circlips

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

Bevel bob

Borgo wire circlips

Postby Bevel bob » Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:56 pm

They were hard to get out, and now impossible to put back, there must be a trick to it,dont think the piston grooves are the right shape for seager rings.

DewCatTea-Bob

Re: Borgo wire circlips

Postby DewCatTea-Bob » Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:01 pm

" dont think the piston grooves are the right shape for seager rings. "

____ I wouldn't advise trying to use that type of retainer-ring ! _ Although I have found that others have used those for that purpose in DUKE-engines that I've torn-down, and they were still in place.
__ In STOCK engines, I've found the three normal-types of cir-clips... the type with both ends curled, the type with just one end curled, and the type with just dead-ends -(C-clip). ... I assume that it's this last type that you have a pair of !?
In all my own pistons, I always use just 1 C-clip & 1 cir-clip -(with only one curled-end) ! _ That way, I never have to remove the (pain-in-the-ass) C-clip,, just the cir-clip ! _ Cuz while the C-clip is the best choice for the job, it's also a real chore to deal with !
__ I fit them by sticking one end/side in first, and then hold that end inside (with thumb) while using a piece of wood (with 'L' shaped notched-tip), to force it's other end/side over the edge (of the piston-pin hole), and inward into it's place.
(Be sure to have a rag stuffed into the piston & around the con.rod during this scuffle-match.)
__ If you're using regular cir-clips -(with the curled-ends), then it's much easier to get them into their place, with just the use of a pair of needle-nose pliers !
__ They say that any such piston-clips should always be replaced with new, every time but, I usually never bothered to do so.
So you sort-of have two reasons to replace yours with new piston-clips ! _ So just go get a new pair (with curled-ends) made for most any piston which uses a 18mm piston-pin.

Hopeful-Cheers,
-Bob
PLEASE NOTE... If this-post is not-yet signed-off with '-Bob', then I'm still in the process of completing it,, and if not also included with 'DCT' near bottom as well, then I may edit this post's wording at a later time. - Dct.Bob

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”