Replica Veglia tachometer

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

Dave450

Replica Veglia tachometer

Postby Dave450 » Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:35 am

Has anyone read or heard reports about these replica Veglia tachos:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/252680719378?ul_noapp=true

I'm a bit suspicious, because of their sub-continental origin(!), which may seem unfair, but if the reports are good I'm prepared to change my mind. Were the original Veglias well-made and have they lasted? I've never had one, which is why I'm asking.

Dave

Jordan

Re: Replica Veglia tachometer

Postby Jordan » Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:31 am

The real Veglia revcounters are very good.
The needle on mine is rock-steady.
I like it that the bezel can be unscrewed (mind the tiny locking screw on its rim!) and the instrument easily disassembled.
They did provide them as standard but also optionally calibrated to better accuracy. Any magnetic gauge can be calibrated nevertheless.

graeme

Postby graeme » Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:27 am

Hello Dave,
There was a fellow in Japan selling replicas.
I bought one that I haven't used yet but it look good.
It was about twice the price of the one you showed

Regards
Graeme

halfpast

Postby halfpast » Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:42 am

I have one that I bought from Euro Jamb...I wasn't interested in paying crazy money for a vintage item, and while those are nice because they are serviceable (unlike the reproductions), I'm okay with it.

Eldert

Postby Eldert » Wed Dec 14, 2016 7:35 am

Hi Dave

dont know about these replicas . pictures are of 2 diff clocks . one says Veglia borletti the other one dont .

those Indian vendors are not afraid to steal pictures of the internet and use in their listings

i bought a bakelite Elite type fuel cap from India . looked great in the listing compleet with the domed inner cap
when it arrived the innercap was missing . did a little investigating and it turned out the picture with the innercap was stolen from Bevelrubber in Australia .

landed up buying some innercaps from Barry Jones from vintage Ducati spares in the UK

Buyer beware Eldert

Dave450

Postby Dave450 » Wed Dec 14, 2016 4:56 pm

Guys - thank you all for your replies. Graeme - I'd be interested to hear how you get on with your replica Veglia. Halfpast - does your replica tacho work ok - needle steady, accurate?

What I will do is ask the seller for more photos of the actual instrument that he is selling and see what he comes up with, or the excuses he gives! Eldert - well spotted the two different photos. I will post any replies I receive, but I won't hold my breath.

Cheers,

Dave

Dave450

Postby Dave450 » Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:30 pm

Brief update on the replica Veglia tacho. I emailed the seller. This is what he sent me. He said this is what the instrument actually looks like. So the Veglia logo IS on the face, and mounting points look ok at the back. The jury is still out on whether it works well or not...

images (3).jpg
images (2).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

halfpast

Postby halfpast » Thu Dec 15, 2016 2:08 am

Hi Dave, the needle is certainly not the most accurate thing I've worked with. Just cruising down the road at a steady speed the needle fluctuates making you guess within 2-3k RPM where the motor is actually turning. I'll fully admit, I got it mostly for the looks (it's on a 250 Monza that has just a few select 'cafe' parts added).

Any other questions feel free to ask.

Jordan

Postby Jordan » Thu Dec 15, 2016 2:29 am

To give the tacho the best chance, I think it's worthwhile to remove as much end play from the drive gearbox shafts.
I figure that if allowed to move back and forth, this might contribute to the needle fluctuation.

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”