Fiberglass Tank sealant what do I use

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

Thevin

Fiberglass Tank sealant what do I use

Postby Thevin » Mon May 31, 2010 5:32 pm

As title says I would like to seal the tank, it is New Old Stock, never had a drop of fuel in it, what do I use?
I've heard you don't need to seal it but i would at least like to leave fuel in it for a couple of months instead of draining it all the fuel.

Eldert

Re: Fiberglass Tank sealant what do I use

Postby Eldert » Mon May 31, 2010 9:38 pm

i would use a tank coating for sure . the fuel nowadays has lots of bio ethanol in it and this eats the fiberglass.
even tank coatings have a hard time coping with the modern fuel .
the only coating that will do the trick is Caswell phenol novolac .
i have no experience with this product myself as they dont ship overseas . i have to go to the european importer in the UK

Eldert

DewCatTea-Bob

Postby DewCatTea-Bob » Mon May 31, 2010 10:34 pm

" the only coating that will do the trick is Caswell phenol novolac .
i have no experience with this product myself "

____ It's always nice to see any such posts of information from you Eldert !
Too bad that you can't confirm that you've tried & like that stuff, however !
__ Here follow's three links for all who may be interested.....

http://www.caswellplating.com/aids/epoxygas.htm

http://www.amazon.com/Caswell-Gas-Tank- ... B001PLM5TC

http://www.caswelleurope.co.uk/gastank.htm

Hope at least one of these links help ya Thevin ! _ (But I'd check prices on eBay for such, before making any purchase.)
____ How about a larger pic of that tank on your DUKE, than that tiny one which you have posted above?

Hopeful-Cheers,
-Bob
PLEASE NOTE... If this-post is not-yet signed-off with '-Bob', then I'm still in the process of completing it,, and if not also included with 'DCT' near bottom as well, then I may edit this post's wording at a later time. - Dct.Bob

ajleone

Postby ajleone » Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:56 am

I have used Caswell's product and it work very well and is simple to apply. It is basically a high performance epoxy that does not react to ethanol. The key is to mix well and apply when the temperature is at their recommended 70-80 degrees to get the proper flow. I ended-up using more than I needed to, and wasted some product, but since that was my first, I wanted to be safe.
Tony

Thevin

Postby Thevin » Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:52 am

Just ordered some, maybe next week I'll get her sealed up and on the road....

nortnlvr

Postby nortnlvr » Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:16 pm

I just got the Caswell tank sealer and plan to seal 2 tanks, a Ducati Mark 3, and a fiberglass cafe tank on my Norton Combat. Should I mix the whole batch and dump into one then the other? Or should I just mix half the product for each tank? Thanks mgl

DewCatTea-Bob

Postby DewCatTea-Bob » Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:05 pm

" Should I mix the whole batch and dump into one then the other? Or should I just mix half the product for each tank? "

_____ I have no experience with the stuff but, here's how I look at this endeavor...
If you were very well experienced with the stuff and considered yourself to be quite good at using it, then you'd want to go-ahead & do both tanks in one job. _ But since you're not, then in that case, I'd guess that you'd end-up buying another batch of the stuff,, since you'd probably discover problems as you go, and waste a fair bit of it.
Chances are fairly-good that you'll learn from mistakes with your first attempt, and will therefore know to avoid them on your second try. _ So you should do the most expensive tank last.
__ At least that's how I'd expect to have things go for me! _ As I've learned long ago that things like this just don't go as expected, on the very first try !
I'm pretty sure that this particular job falls well under the old-saying that "Practice Makes Perfect" !
Why take any chances? _ (Unless ya happen to have lots of such tanks and can get all of this stuff ya want for free.)

Hopeful-Cheers,
-Bob
PLEASE NOTE... If this-post is not-yet signed-off with '-Bob', then I'm still in the process of completing it,, and if not also included with 'DCT' near bottom as well, then I may edit this post's wording at a later time. - Dct.Bob

Thevin

Postby Thevin » Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:06 am

nortnlvr wrote:I just got the Caswell tank sealer and plan to seal 2 tanks, a Ducati Mark 3, and a fiberglass cafe tank on my Norton Combat. Should I mix the whole batch and dump into one then the other? Or should I just mix half the product for each tank? Thanks mgl

Mix the whole batch and I'll bring over my 2 tanks and some Beer............If you were in Michigan I'd come over and even drag Bob along for the ride... :)

DewCatTea-Bob

Postby DewCatTea-Bob » Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:47 am

" Mix the whole batch and I'll bring over my 2 tanks and some Beer............If you were in Michigan I'd come over and even drag Bob along for the ride... "

____ That "Beer" had better be 'RootBeer' then !
(Also, I wouldn't care to watch any non-DUKE tanks get done.)

Hopeful-Cheers,
-Bob

Thevin

Postby Thevin » Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:13 am

DewCatTea-Bob wrote:" Mix the whole batch and I'll bring over my 2 tanks and some Beer............If you were in Michigan I'd come over and even drag Bob along for the ride... "

____ That "Beer" had better be 'RootBeer' then !
(Also, I wouldn't care to watch any non-DUKE tanks get done.)

Hopeful-Cheers,
-Bob

Of course Bob I know what you drink..... :lol:

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”