Boyer Electronic Ignition Question?

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

Wally Anderson

Boyer Electronic Ignition Question?

Postby Wally Anderson » Sat May 29, 2010 2:01 pm

Hi All:
I recently purchased a Boyer electronic ignition for a 250cc Monza bitsa cafe racer project I've been SLOWLY building for a couple of years, the project is rehab after having a stroke.
The Boyer kit included a rather large Lucas coil that would be very difficult to mount so I'd like to use a Dyna DC1-3 OHM coil I have left over from another project. Question, is it conpatable with the Boyer Electronic Ignition?
Cheers,
Wally :?:

DewCatTea-Bob

Re: Boyer Electronic Ignition Question?

Postby DewCatTea-Bob » Sat May 29, 2010 3:07 pm

____ Wally,
Do you have your Boyer system's electronic-scheme/diagram, so you could post it in this thread?
__ Otherwise, you could just risk trying your smaller coil in place of the Lucas-coil, and find-out if it works alright. _ (As most ign.coils are quite nearly the same, anyhow.) ...
When using any questionable ign.coil, it should be an extra caution to add a 'ballast-resistor' in series with the ign.coil, to avoid any possible overheating.

Hopeful-Cheers,
-Bob
PLEASE NOTE... If this-post is not-yet signed-off with '-Bob', then I'm still in the process of completing it,, and if not also included with 'DCT' near bottom as well, then I may edit this post's wording at a later time. - Dct.Bob

mongo

Postby mongo » Sat May 29, 2010 4:32 pm

What's the ohm rating on the Boyer coil?

Wally Anderson

Postby Wally Anderson » Sun May 30, 2010 2:32 pm

Hi Mongo:
I don't know the OHM rating on the Lucas coil, it isn't marked. :?:

dsmess

Postby dsmess » Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:43 pm

Wally,

Does your bike have the stock 6V/60W alternator?....or have you converted it to 12v?

Scott

Wally Anderson

Postby Wally Anderson » Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:55 pm

I E-mailed Kirby Rowbotham the UK who is the distributor of Boyer and received a reply stating that the Dyna DG3-1 coil is correct for the Ducati single. I want to thank everyone for their suggestions in regard to my question.
Wally

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”