6 volt gel cell battery

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

alno

6 volt gel cell battery

Postby alno » Wed Nov 09, 2016 4:15 am

Hello,
Are there any recommendations on for a 6 volt Gel Cell battery for a DM250?
Thank You
Al

Mike

Re: 6 volt gel cell battery

Postby Mike » Sun Nov 13, 2016 4:20 pm

Not a gel cell, I don't think - but the Y12-6L is fully sealed so it can be installed on it's side. I have a nearly new one sitting on my shelf at the moment that I don't need (recently converted to 12v), but unlikely to be worthwhile posting it as they are very cheap and readily available.

alno

Postby alno » Tue Nov 15, 2016 1:28 am

Hello,
Thanks for the information on the battery. I looked this morning & they're not sold here in the colonies. I will try & import one for the UK.
Al

amartina75

Postby amartina75 » Tue Nov 15, 2016 2:03 am

I use AGM batteries in my 6volt bikes. They are cheap and easy to find. They also seem to not be bothered by sitting long periods without being charged. They also don't leak battery acid all over your chrome and paint when they vibrate on your Ducati.
Search for one based on what AH rating you want and size. If you have a batteries plus store near you try them you might pay a few bucks more but might walk out with what you want.

This is the battery I have in my 450
image.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1966 250 Scrambler
1970 450 Jupiter

bikester250

Postby bikester250 » Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:32 pm

amartina,
Could you provide more information about how you connected your electrics to that battery?
I've used similar batteries but wasn't happy with the slip on connectors I used.
Regards,
Phil

amartina75

Postby amartina75 » Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:34 pm

I just used standard blade connectors, not cheap ones. I haven't had any issues with them. You can crimp them slightly to get a tighter fit. It is nice to be able to quickly unplug the battery but the blade connectors obviously aren't the best option. The problem is there isn't much else to choose from. My 12V bike has an actual AGM motorcycle battery with bolt on connectors but those aren't really available for 6V, or if they are they cost 10 times as much. I've had those batteries in 3 different bikes with no problems. In fact the opposite, I've had nothing but ploblems with the old lead acid batteries. I'm not sure how they would react in a bike with a starter. My Dukes all have the factory charging systems.
Aaron
1966 250 Scrambler
1970 450 Jupiter

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”