Opinions? 12v Electronic Ignition on Scrambler or Mach 1?

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

Octane

Opinions? 12v Electronic Ignition on Scrambler or Mach 1?

Postby Octane » Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:33 am

The 6v magneto on my N/C 250 Scrambler has failed. I've ordered a full 12v electronic ignition kit from Electrex World.

However, the 6v system in my Mach 1 is still strong. Would I be better off putting the 60w/6V magneto from the Mach 1 into the Scrambler, and then running the Mach 1 with the 12v ignition system?

Not sure which way to go... Both bikes are riders, not concours queens.

Either way, I'll be having the failed magneto rewound and putting it on the shelf so either bike can be converted back to standard if required.

Bevel bob

Re: Opinions? 12v Electronic Ignition on Scrambler or Mach 1?

Postby Bevel bob » Wed Nov 02, 2016 4:00 pm

The UK Mach1 does not have a magneto, it has a 6v coil ignition battery/ alternator powered system , as Mach1 are much prized and valued for orriginality I would stick with that although it could be easily modified to 12v . Seems to me that a battery system on a scrambler is not logical,although it is a scrambler in name only.At the end of the day if you are going to ride much a hot spark makes a huge difference to starting, a decent tickover and non fouled plugs.

Octane

Postby Octane » Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:50 pm

Thanks Bob, you're right re: the Mach 1 ignition/charging system. My bad :oops:

Am I able to install an alternator kit into the Scrambler motor to replace the magneto setup?

I've got this kit on the way. It's the 120w alternator kit with switchable 6V/12V reg/rec and CDI ignition & coil etc. Maybe I can put the alternator into the Scrambler for now (with the reg/rec switched to 6V) and order another alternator-only kit to use on the Mach 1 with the CDI ignition from the first kit.

Honestly, I never ever plan on selling the Mach 1, and I plan on using it a little more than the Scrambler (I've put 10,000+ miles on the Mach 1 in the past couple of years) and the Scrambler isn't 100% correct either, so I don't have a problem with running both bikes on 12V system. It means I can also put some decent globes in them too in case I get stuck riding after dark.

Eldert

Postby Eldert » Sun Nov 06, 2016 8:22 am

Hi Nathan

i dont want to scare you but i think Nigel stopped selling the complete elektrex system because of reliabilety problems .

Eldert

Mike

Postby Mike » Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:16 am

Hello all - although I've been lurking for a while, and using this forum for research, this is my first post.

Having read this thread, I reached out to Jim to register because I've got some recent experience that I can share with this.

I recently put an electrex kit on my Monza - not the full CDI kit, but just the alternator and switchable 6v/12v R/R. It worked very well indeed. I've also just recently installed the Sachse digital ignition (http://www.elektronik-sachse.de/shopsystem/product_info.php?info=p21_digital-ignition-zdg3--ducati-250-450-.html) along with a new carb.

I've not ridden the bike since (because it fried the 50 year old clutch the first time I tried to ride it up the hill out of my driveway :lol: ), but it is running extremely well with the new setup. I've just finished replacing the clutch.

Here's some links into my write-ups:

https://ducatimonza.wordpress.com/2015/ ... ng-system/
https://ducatimonza.wordpress.com/2016/ ... headlight/
https://ducatimonza.wordpress.com/2016/ ... -ignition/

Regards,
Mike

ecurbruce

Postby ecurbruce » Fri Nov 11, 2016 11:04 pm

Hi Mike,
Welcome to the forum.
I like your write-ups, sounds like a fun project.

Bruce

Octane

Postby Octane » Sat Nov 12, 2016 7:19 am

Thanks for the reply Mike!

Thanks also for posting those articles! Perhaps we should link them in the tech section?

I bought the full Elextrix kit incl the CDI, but I haven't installed it yet (waiting on a few other parts)
My plan is now to install just the alternator & R/R part of the kit into the Scrambler and run it in 6V mode.

I'll order another alternator & R/R this month and put that in my Mach 1 along with the CDI, again in 6V mode.

As far as reliability issues are concerned, I'm happy to give the Electrix gear a go. I don't mind buying products where the manufacturer has actually invested in keeping our old bikes on the road. Their customer service is pretty good, so I'm sure they'll do the right thing if something were to fail.

Mike

Postby Mike » Sat Nov 12, 2016 8:10 am

I've bought a few electrex R/R's over the years, most recently for my '91 851 just a few months back, and to my memory I've only had one that was bad (on my '94 916, it developed a fault that would continually blow the main fuse on the bike - but Electrex replaced it quickly without question).

I'm aware that others have other experiences and opinions though.

Nick

Postby Nick » Sun Nov 13, 2016 12:06 am

Put the Electrex on my Diana but retained the standard points. Most noticeable improvement was instant starting. Haven't put that many miles on it but so far it works great.
Put a Mikuni on it!

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”