Resurfacing rocker arms/ reconditioning cylinder heads and components

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

amartina75

Resurfacing rocker arms/ reconditioning cylinder heads and components

Postby amartina75 » Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:33 am

I have several sets of rocker arms that need resurfaced. I'm wondering who does it and how much. Would it be cheaper to send the parts to Engand and have it done. The prices I've seen in the US are as much as new ones cost.
Thanks
Aaron
Last edited by amartina75 on Sun Oct 16, 2016 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1966 250 Scrambler
1970 450 Jupiter

Eldert

Re: Resurfacing rocker arms

Postby Eldert » Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:04 am

Hi Aaron

here in Holland the price is 50 euro for a rockerarm . good chrome and ground the correct radius .

Eldert

amartina75

Postby amartina75 » Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:55 am

Thanks Eldert,
That sound good, do you have the contact information for them?
Thanks
Aaron
1966 250 Scrambler
1970 450 Jupiter

Rick

Postby Rick » Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:40 pm

Aaron,
I'm facing the same problem, I'm sure you know about Megacycle, and in Canada there's:
http://www.mbpducati.ca/index.htm?rocker.htm~mainFrame

I have arms that are worn through the curvature- a concave on the surface that contacts the cam. Megacycle grinds the arm down, hardface welds the arm, and then regrinds the profile- I don't think a 'replating' process can save some of my rocker arms. I'm leaning toward the Megacycle process, partly because a failure of the plating process, flaking, can send little pieces of chrome through the engine- could be a disaster.
I haven't been in contact with Megacycle for years- hope they still offer the rebuild.
If I could buy new plated arms I probably would, but I've only seen them on European sites- they usually want to get paid with IBAN bank transfers, and the last(only) time I've done it I spent all afternoon at the bank and it cost over $40.00- wish they used PayPay in Europe.
Rick

amartina75

Postby amartina75 » Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:51 pm

Rick
I'm pretty sure Megacycle still offers the service, but I'm not sure how much it costs. I think last time I looked into this I couldn't find anyone that did it for less then what new ones cost. Syd's Cycles offered (not sure if they still do) reconditioned rockers for $125 each with core. Classic Ducati and Lacey Ducati both offer new rockers for the same price range also(they do take PayPal) Ducati Vintage Store sells new rockers also.

I'd really like to find someone that does it for the $50 range. My problem is I have 3 sets from a 250 NC to do and the ones from my 350 MK3D so at $100 each that's $1000 :shock:

What's really frustrating to me is I live in Cincinnati, where pretty much every thing imaginable is done. The problem is its all industry and unless you are a big business nobody wants to deal with you.

Aaron
1966 250 Scrambler
1970 450 Jupiter

Jordan

Postby Jordan » Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:51 pm

On my Desmo single, I hope to avoid embarrassing rocker chrome damage as I'm running it with no "helper" valve springs.

motoital

Postby motoital » Thu Oct 06, 2016 1:31 am

Fyi, haven't tried them but it's the cheapest price I've seen.

"4V and 2V ROCKER RESURFACING

We now offer the service of resurfacing your 4V rocker arms that the plating has flaked off of. below are some pics of before and after shots of the Megacycle process.

At this time we are no longer recommending Megacycled rockers, we are using a new process that Re-Chromes the original rocker. This is a much more effective process and we have had excellant results plus it is cheaper than megacycled rockers. We have suffered no rocker breakages at this point with the new process. compared to the old.

Price per rocker for refinishing is $65 plus shipping and handling"

http://www.foxperformanceengines.com/megacycle.htm

amartina75

Postby amartina75 » Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:49 am

Thanks,
I emailed Fox months ago asking if they also did singles rockers but never got a response. Maybe if I called them I might get an answer but I don't think they do. I think they specialize in the late model bikes that all have defective rocker chrome.
Aaron
1966 250 Scrambler
1970 450 Jupiter

motoital

Postby motoital » Thu Oct 06, 2016 2:05 pm

Maybe you should call. I hate it when companies don't respond back. It's not hard to say sorry, we only do twins.

I was referred to them a bit back from another singles guy but I'm not sure if he used Fox either.

amartina75

Postby amartina75 » Thu Oct 06, 2016 4:17 pm

I agree usually if someone doesn't respond to an email I take that as a no, I do think it's a little rude. I probably should do that weird ancient thing and call them on the phone!

If a singles guy told you about them they might do it, plus if I have a few sets to do that will give them more incentive.
Thanks
Aaron
1966 250 Scrambler
1970 450 Jupiter

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”