Resurfacing rocker arms/ reconditioning cylinder heads and components

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

ducwiz

Re: Resurfacing rocker arms

Postby ducwiz » Thu Oct 06, 2016 4:53 pm

Here in Germany we have Jako Motorsport. Jörg Jakobeit does repairs on all rockers, for singles and twins. http://www.jako-motorsport.de/Angebote/Kipphebel.aspx. Unfortunately, his webpage is not available in english language. And I do not know if he does business with foreign customers. But he does an excellent job.

Very good also is Günther Rupprecht, http://www.gransport.de/index_flash.html. German page only, so you will search for /Teile/Kipphebel on the flash page.

cheers Hans

Rick

Postby Rick » Thu Oct 06, 2016 5:18 pm

Just got off the phone with Megacycle- they still rebuild bevel rocker arms, but getting expensive. Any Ducati rocker arm is $138.00, and if they need to regrind the valve end of a solid rocker it's an additional $44.00.
Considering how few miles most old Ducatis will run, the new plated arms are probably more than good enough- I'm still not sold on a paper thin, glass hard layer plated onto a high speed steel-to-steel contact surface, it's not like a fork leg sliding through a seal or a hydraulic cylinder ram, but hard chrome seems to work OK.
Megacycle stopped regrinding bevel cams but still make new ones for old Ducatis.
Rick

double diamond

Postby double diamond » Thu Oct 06, 2016 5:44 pm

Webcam in Riverside CA will hardweld Ducati singles cams. They have a cataloged cam profile which I had ground on a 200 cam. The result was very well done. Webcam also lists hard chroming rocker arms but when I visited the facility Steve (the owner) said they hardweld rocker arms. Price listed on their website is $75/rocker but that price has been on there for years so the price may be higher now. Matt

amartina75

Postby amartina75 » Fri Oct 07, 2016 4:27 pm

Just called webcam they said they do singles rockers for $75 each including Desmo rockers. They said around $185 to regrind a 2v cam more if it needed welded.
Fox wasn't open yet on my lunch break I'll call them later but honestly $75 isn't bad really.
I'll post later after I get ahold of fox
Aaron
1966 250 Scrambler
1970 450 Jupiter

DBDBrian

Postby DBDBrian » Sat Oct 08, 2016 5:27 pm

A little bit late to the party as I have been away on holiday. This company maybe of interest, Phil Joy was recommended to me by the late Mick Walker. Mick used them when he was running his Ducati dealership, so a long established business. I had two sets of rockers built up and re-ground, and two shafts re-profiled. I had them done awhile back now, but have not used them to date, so cannot comment on the durability, but they look to be an excellent job. Phil is very helpful chap, and was not over expensive at the time.

JOY ENG.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Brian
Made in England

amartina75

Postby amartina75 » Thu Oct 13, 2016 4:26 pm

Thanks for the info on joy, I think I'll use Webcam, probably won't save any money shipping to the UK but someone over there might be interested in them.
I called Fox they no longer do any rocker arms at all

Aaron
1966 250 Scrambler
1970 450 Jupiter

Dave_the_Rave

Postby Dave_the_Rave » Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:57 pm

Pardon my two-cents, I was looking into rocker arms a couple of months ago and found some here

http://www.classicducati.com/index.php? ... ductId=547

If I have broken forum rules by putting up a link to a business then I apologise. With the pound (£) suffering against the dollar ($) currently the arms without the bush seem the best value. The people that run that site are very helpful and contacting them is easy and they are very prompt. They're on GMT like me.

Eldert

Postby Eldert » Fri Oct 14, 2016 6:59 am

Hi Dave

this is a Ducati Vintage Store rockerarm .

Nigel Lacey stopped selling these because there are quality issues

Phil Joy is swamped with work so dont expect a quick turnaround

Aaron your best bet would be webcam me thinks .

Eldert

amartina75

Re: Resurfacing rocker arms/ reconditioning cylinder heads and components

Postby amartina75 » Sun Oct 16, 2016 1:03 pm

I figured I'd add to this post rather then start a new one since all my questions are going to relate to cylinder heads.

All of my cylinder head components are pretty rough. I have 3 NC 250 heads, 2 scramblers? and a 250 GT. I want to rebuild my 250 Scrambler this winter so I need to at least sort that one out.

I have 2 grey cams and a violet cam. One grey cam is definitely heavily worn and would need welded and ground. The other two I think could be polished out. Has anyone done that and has some tips? I was thinking of stoning it flat and then using polishing cloth.
If anyone has a grey cam to sell PM me.

How can I tell if my valves are useable? What is the limit on regrinding the heads? Can an intake valve be made into an exhaust valve? If I have to cut the valve seats bigger should I buy bigger valves? Or is that a cut them and see question? The valves from my Scrambler measured 33/36 and about 83.5 long while the ones from what I thought was a Scrambler measured 33/37 and about 85.5 long.

I recently bought a basket case engine, the bottom end is from a scrambler but I'm not so sure about the head now. The head suffered some major damage to the combustion chamber but otherwise is in good shape. I can recut the squish band at work. I bought 75.8mm piston to match to the head. I was planning on just cutting the head to 45deg taking off the minimum and trying to stay within about 76mm in diameter. But I was looking at the Misano heads on Laceyducati an noticed how they cut them. I was wondering if that is something I should copy?

Sorry I know this is a lot, that's why I separated things out, feel free to respond to any one point.
Thanks for reading
Aaron
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1966 250 Scrambler
1970 450 Jupiter

Nick

Re: Resurfacing rocker arms/ reconditioning cylinder heads and components

Postby Nick » Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:24 am

Looking at your piston, it looks like a clip came out. Often this is caused by either a bent rod or a cylinder that is not perpendicular to the crankcase. It is of course possible that a previous owner simply bodged the assembly, but you might want to at least check the rod for straightness. To check whether the cylinder mounting surface is square to the crank, get piece of steel or aluminum machined/ground to fit the small end (basically, you just want a long wrist pin). then, after assembly, measure the distance between the right and left ends of the pin to the cylinder mounting surface. If they're not the same, either the rod is bent or cylinder mounting surface is out of whack. Careful use with a good file can rectify this, or you can mill it.

I've never heard of the crooked cylinder problem with Ducatis, but it's an occasional problem with Brit-bikes of the same era.
Put a Mikuni on it!

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”