my aggrivating oil leak

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

LaceyDucati

Re: my aggrivating oil leak

Postby LaceyDucati » Sat Oct 22, 2016 7:28 pm

Hi, Just one thing worth checking is the thread direction. The thread is supposed to be left hand, I've seen some after market sprockets with right hand threads. Ideal for pushing oil out :? Ideal thing is a sealed bearing.

jbcollier

Postby jbcollier » Tue Oct 25, 2016 3:29 am

PCV valves are meant to be plumbed to manifold vacuum. There are called "positive" crank ventilation valves as they use metered manifold vacuum to create a vacuum in the crankcase. I don't know of any other than ones made for cars which will pass too much vacuum and really skew the carburation. Is that how you have it hooked up? Or do you just have the valve in a hose which vents to atmosphere? Either way, not a good idea, remove it.

Jordan

Postby Jordan » Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:18 am

Some motorcycle engines use a simple one way valve to maintain crankcase vacuum. For example, recent (maybe current) Royal Enfields use a "duck bill" in the form of a rubber tube with a flattened end. These types vent directly to atmosphere.
Ebay item 220669285710

Instead of venting directly to a manifold or inlet pipe, a hose could be connected upwind of the carburettor - as standard Ducati practice. Then carburretion should not be affected.

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”