Getting there...

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

ccambern

Getting there...

Postby ccambern » Wed May 26, 2010 12:33 pm

Frame back from powdercoater, shocks, struts and engine done. In the next couple of weeks... bodywork, wheels/tires, wiring, seat, paint.
Duc1.JPG
Duc2.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

DewCatTea-Bob

Re: Getting there...

Postby DewCatTea-Bob » Wed May 26, 2010 1:13 pm

____ Looks like a nice DUKE-project!
How about reminding us what this started-out as... '65 Monza?
Also, what was done to the motor?
__ I know that many others dislike the squarish-style fuel-tank of the 1966 Monza-design but, I myself much prefer it to the older Monza-tank style.
Not at all to say that your choice of gas-tank is unworthy of the rest of your project ! _ But I do think that your project-DUKE is worthy of a sleeker looking tank.
Anybody else got an opinion on the two different Monza-style gas-tanks?

Excited DUKE-Cheers,
-Bob
PLEASE NOTE... If this-post is not-yet signed-off with '-Bob', then I'm still in the process of completing it,, and if not also included with 'DCT' near bottom as well, then I may edit this post's wording at a later time. - Dct.Bob

ccambern

Postby ccambern » Wed May 26, 2010 4:05 pm

It's a bitsa, really... Monza frame and front forks, SCR engine, wheels, etc. I agree the tank is a little stumpy, but I hate the late Monza tanks and I don't really want to spend the cash for a repo jelly mold or something like that. I may change the tank later if I don't like the lines, but I think the tail helps extend the upper line and balance out the short tank.

Boretech went through the crank and cylinder, ported and freshened the head, and swapped in a green-white cam. I did the assembly at home and have a 30mm Mikuni ready for it.

JimF
Site Admin

Postby JimF » Wed May 26, 2010 8:05 pm

It looks great!

I can't wait to see it up on tires. When the project can roll it's like a watershed moment for me, being as how it seems like you only need bolt on a few more things on and you can start it up and ride it.

I did not keep a good photo log of my bike's build as digital cameras were pricey ten years ago and so I borrowed one from work very infrequently.

There is something very special about assembling a Ducati single on a workbench and so few people who will ever know the pleasure and satisfaction it brings. Maybe it's the size of the bike, or the lean, purposeful and yet minimalist elements that make up these small motorcycles, or perhaps its just the beauty of the engine. I would often just sit in the garage late an night and stare at the Ducati and think about the promise of fun to come.

I guess it's like when a woman sees a baby and says "I want another one." Seeing your bike on the bench makes me want another project Ducati single project.

Please keep the pictures coming.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ccambern

Postby ccambern » Fri May 28, 2010 12:44 pm

Thanks! I feel the same way about getting the tires on- they're sitting in the shop waiting for the wheel to get done. Hopefully I'll have a roller some time next week.

Thevin

Postby Thevin » Mon May 31, 2010 3:07 pm

What did it cost to powder coat your frame off hand, I asked a local powder coating bus and they said like $300 and the swing arm would be an extra $50----------I thought it was high.....I know how to powder coat and have a gun just don't have a big enough oven to do a frame.......

ccambern

Postby ccambern » Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:49 pm

It was $190 for the frame, swingarm, and various odds and ends (brake levers, etc). I delivered the parts cleaned and blasted, but they did all the plugging. Elite Electro Coaters in Lansing, MI did the work and everything turned out pretty well.

$300 does seem high- I've seen racecar frames done for that, and they have a lot more area to cover...

-Clark

ccambern

Postby ccambern » Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:11 pm

Here is the latest... wiring pretty much done. The key switch ($18- normally for security systems) ground-side switches an automotive relay ($5) to power lights, ignition and horn. Lights are on whenever the key is on, but high/low beams and horn switch through a CEV bar switch courtesy of Teckhardt.

Battery is a 12V security system gel cell that is commonly used in racing karts ($40, but I had one laying around). The horn, rectifier, and regulator are all bolted to the frame above the bat, with the regulator and rectifier in the airstream below the seat. Headlight is a 12V sealed beam ($20), horn came off a '80 CB650 Honda (free), regulator is sold by Moose Racing for Enduro bikes ($15), and the rectifier is a 400V/30A model from my local electronics shop ($5). I haven't started the bike yet, but everything works fine running off the battery. As long as the bat doesn't overcharge with the engine running, I think all will be fine.

**Postscript
After talking with the regulator manufacturer, I concluded that it is probably not designed to do what I want. Tech support really wasn't able to give me clear instructions and the unit came without diagrams, but apparently it outputs 14V AC, and may or may not provide half-wave rectification. At any rate, I pulled it and installed a Honda CX500 regulator/rectifier, which is supposed to be pretty bulletproof. Again, I'll just have to see what I get when I fire it up.

DucWire.JPG
Last edited by ccambern on Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thevin

Postby Thevin » Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:23 am

ccambern wrote:It was $190 for the frame, swingarm, and various odds and ends (brake levers, etc). I delivered the parts cleaned and blasted, but they did all the plugging. Elite Electro Coaters in Lansing, MI did the work and everything turned out pretty well.

$300 does seem high- I've seen racecar frames done for that, and they have a lot more area to cover...

-Clark

I thought it was high,,,I know there's a couple of other shops nearby that do it just haven't gotten around to checking. It might be worth a road trip to Lansing....

ccambern

Postby ccambern » Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:17 pm

Cables and controls done. Rear wheel built and trued. Mounted the rear tire last night and the front wheel/tire assembly will be done today. After that... set her on the ground and (hopefully) fire up for the first time in 40 years.

Duc4.JPG
Duc5.JPG

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”