Recognize this seat - 250 single

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

Snakeoil

Recognize this seat - 250 single

Postby Snakeoil » Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:21 pm

Went back and picked what I believe is the correct seat for the 250 chassis. At least the mounting poins line up and the heritage is correct. But, instead of saying Ducati on the back of the seat like my 160, it say Giuliari.

Here is the seat. Lance says it is an aftermarket seat because of the name on the back.

What do the experts say?

It's a nice seat in good condition structually. It has what appears to be a leather base over the springs that is still nice and solid. Needs a new cover for sure.

Thanks,
Rob

DucMonzter

Re: Recognize this seat - 250 single

Postby DucMonzter » Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:42 pm

Hi Rob,

That appears to be an original seat for your bike. It's exactly the same as the one on my Monza Jr.

Giuliari was a supplier for many bike manufacturers. I've seen the same seat with either Giuliari or Ducati emblems. Reproduction badges are easy to find online.

Regards,
Jeff

DBDBrian

Postby DBDBrian » Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:27 pm

Hi Rob, like Jeff I think your seat is very likely genuine, as Ducati definitely used Giuliari seats.
This is the seat I rebuilt for my 200SS, the Giuliari badge is a repro, as mine was beyond reclaim. It is identical to the original badge.
Hope this is of help.
Original frame, sorry I can't locate pictures of the original cover and badge
Rebuilt frame, vertical springs re-plated,I had the base springs made, and made the hooks from stainless welding rod
I bought the new cover, but unfortunately it had the wrong radius at the rear, and would not clear the rear mudguard.
I unpicked the stitches re-cut the backing to the correct radius, and hand stitched it back together.
Fortunately I had to remove sufficient material to lose the original stitch holes.
New badge fitted, identical to original.
Completed seat.
Brian
Made in England

Jordan

Postby Jordan » Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:02 pm

Not quite fitting correctly seems to be common with pattern made parts. That's a neat fix.
It looks like it would be a comfy seat, with all those springs.

Snakeoil

Postby Snakeoil » Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:18 am

Thanks guys. I had a feeling it was original.

Nice job on the rebuild, DB. I have a lady out here that does amazing upholstery work. She did the interior on my sidecar. She will get my seat to recover. Think I will have her add a bum stop.

nalimugmug

Postby nalimugmug » Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:59 am

Three seats, all from Mach 1s.

Upper seat was on a USA model-lower two European spec
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Snakeoil

Postby Snakeoil » Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:54 pm

Thanks. What I have noticed is that the stitching is different, done much better than my seat. I suspect my seat was was recovered at some point. Glad they reinstalled the maker's plate.

regards,
Rob

DucMonzter

Postby DucMonzter » Thu Aug 25, 2016 5:35 pm

Hi Rob,

Here's a few photos of one of my seats before I had it reupholstered. You might notice that the stitching quality was not so good on this one, either. Unfortunately, I don't have any photos of another identical seat I had with the Giuliari emblem.

- Jeff
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Snakeoil

Postby Snakeoil » Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:23 pm

Ah yes, that looks pretty much identical to mine. I need to take a closer look to see if it has those two long ovals on the seating surface. Did not remember seeing those on the seat.

I am missing the aluminum trim on one side. I'll probably just do away with it and use broad head rivets or screws. I can machine the screw heads to look like rivets.

It appears that the material under the vinyl is thick, skirting leather. Is that a correct assesement? Have not torn it apart yet. Only one small section of that base material needs to be restitched. Simple fix.

Thanks,
Rob

double diamond

Postby double diamond » Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:12 pm

The base material isn't leather. It's some sort of composite faux leather, used on many Italian seats of the era. I found similar material that's used for truck mud flaps. Matt

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”