250 Narrow case Electrex 12volt & CDI system

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

alno

250 Narrow case Electrex 12volt & CDI system

Postby alno » Sat Aug 13, 2016 7:28 pm

Hello,
Has any one used on of the Electrex 12 volt & CDI system? If so does it have a 28 degree advance or 18 degree? reliability? My 250 has a Road & Race 12 volt system. It kills rectifiers every 1000 miles & I have to use a Bosch VW coil with a Ballast resistor to keep the points & condenser alive. It is a little hard to start but runs great. Not happy with the hard start & rectifier issues. Or is the 6 volt system just fine but with a little dim lights?
Al

Jordan

Re: 250 Narrow case Electrex 12volt & CDI system

Postby Jordan » Sat Aug 13, 2016 11:35 pm

If it kill rectifiers, use one with a higher current rating.
VW coil is rather large. It should still be possible to buy one of similar size to the Ducati. Just avoid using a Ducati one. :)
CDI does make singles start easier than with points.

halfpast

Postby halfpast » Sun Aug 14, 2016 12:59 am

Everyone I've spoken to says to keep the 6V system unless you really need to ride the bike at night and thus need better lighting.

Bevel bob

Postby Bevel bob » Sun Aug 14, 2016 2:45 am

Does the rectifier have a decent heat sink?. What battery are you using?.

motoital

Postby motoital » Tue Aug 16, 2016 4:57 am

I helped a friend install one years back and I think the kit has changed somewhat since then. The quality was nice enough but I can't say that I would want it on my bike. Setting up the timing is a hassle but if you are a set it and forget it kind of person it might be a good buy. I like to use race gas from time to time and it's nice to optimize the timing.

I can't confirm the advertised static timing or reliability.

Are you sure you want to dump the Road & Race kit? Going through rectifiers can be a pain but I think there's something else going on there. I would check the grounds, a sufficient sized battery. I'm willing to bet that it's not able to dissipate the heat fast enough. The left over charge from the 150 watt alternator is basically turned into heat.

Jordan

Postby Jordan » Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:10 am

I think the word rectifier is being used to describe a rectifier+regulator?

I'm currently trying cheap alternatives to the gadgets that are sold for Ducatis. Hey, if it's all junk - may as well be cheap junk. :)

My 12V widecase alternator (not modified, just left out the centre tap wire) has a Chinese rec-reg sold for a Kubota tractor. It looks just like a motorcycle type, finned box, and has a nice feature in that it has a wire for a generator indicator lamp, that goes out when revved. Early days, but so far so good.

I also bought a compact, garden tractor rec-reg, that I heard works well with single phase full wave motorcycle 12V alternators. I haven't tried that one at all yet - maybe end up on one of my Brit bikes.

Both these are made for permanent magnet type alternators.

Suggestions to check for basics like good earthing are sound.

ecurbruce

Postby ecurbruce » Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:40 pm

Al,
Are you willing and or able to describe your "rectifier"? Can you post a photo?

Bruce

Seekhunt

Postby Seekhunt » Tue Aug 30, 2016 5:42 pm

I have that system in my narrowcase, and I like it. Don't know about the timing thing as it was ambiguous. So I did it by "seat of the pants". I could verify by timing wheel and light, revving at 3500rpm mine is supposed to have 38-40 degrees full advance. Chec your specs, and give it a whirl!

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”