Radaelli - re-chrome or buy new?

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

howlndog

Radaelli - re-chrome or buy new?

Postby howlndog » Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:52 pm

My original Radaelli rims need to be re-chromed (badly). The cost to due so is about $300.00 CDN / each. However, I can purchase a set of new Borrani for a little less. What would you do, re-chrome the originals or get those beautiful high-walled Borrani? BTW, Akront's are even cheaper.

.... help
Derek
'70 350 Mark 3D

Jordan

Re: Radaelli - re-chrome or buy new?

Postby Jordan » Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:02 am

Light metal rims first choice, and stainless second if a more original look is wanted.
Chroming is so expensive nowadays.

amartina75

Postby amartina75 » Fri Jul 15, 2016 2:20 am

Italianmotorbikes on eBay sells new Italian chrome rims for reasonable money. Valtermoto on eBay also sells aluminum flanged rims like akronts very cheap. I'd recommend one of those options. I'd only re-chrome rims if I wanted total originality and I wasn't worried about paying for it. Still $300 each sound very high, I've heard more like half that a rim. That's still more then new ones cost. I think most chrome shops don't want to do old rims. They are a pain to do. I think $300 each is the "I don't want to do it price"
1966 250 Scrambler
1970 450 Jupiter

Snakeoil

Postby Snakeoil » Sun Jul 24, 2016 1:47 am

You are right, shops don't want to do rims because the polishing is very tedious since you have the raised center portion, the dimples and everthing is on the ID of the rim. Leonard's in WV did a Dunlop rim for me a couple years ago for $80. Probably more like $100 now.

You can find Leonard's Plating in St. Albans, WV on the web. Mark is the son of the owner and pretty much runs the place now. He's a nice guy, does nice work for a reasonable price and unless it is spring and he's swamped with car work, he'll turn it around very quickly.

Rob

howlndog

Postby howlndog » Fri Aug 05, 2016 1:14 am

Fellas - if I do buy new is there any benefit to going with a slightly wider rear rim or should I stick with the 1.85 x 18?
Derek
'70 350 Mark 3D

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”