N/C Scrambler - Rewiring.

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

Octane

N/C Scrambler - Rewiring.

Postby Octane » Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:48 am

Hi All,

Long time no post. I recently bought a "restored" 1966 250 Scrambler. Overall it's in great condition, but the wiring is terrible.
The guy who restored it really hasn't done a great job of it. Lots of things spliced into other things, and a few short circuits here are there. I'm not even able to get any spark at the moment.

I'm going to rip the whole wiring loom out except and rewire it all as per the factory wiring diagram. First time I'll do a complete loom from scratch.
I'll also do my Mach 1 at the same time, as it's a very similar loom (there are some differences I know)

Any tips or hints? What did you find helpful when doing this?
Any idea on where to get all of the connectors/fittings/distributions/fuse blocks etc to replicate the factory style?

Cheers :D

JimF
Site Admin

Re: N/C Scrambler - Rewiring.

Postby JimF » Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:36 am

Check the diameter of the connectors that go into the fuse blocks. I can't recall, but they are a nice even millimeter size. Now go to the hardware store and buy a few different sized wire splices:

61270_1.jpg

Cut and peel off the insulators and the inside is a hollow metal barrel. The insulators are pretty thick. If you have a pencil tip soldering iron you can poke the tip into the metal barrel and as the the barrel gets hot the insulator hardens and after the barrel cools the insulator comes off easier.

I found one of the barrels to be the perfect match for the diameter of the original connectors that Ducati put on the wire ends heading into the fuse block.

So I simply soldered the barrels on to the ends of my wires.

I used to make a wiring harness for the Mach 1. Perhaps my old installation guide will help you.

narrowcase.jpg

Jim
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

flanker

Postby flanker » Sat Apr 16, 2016 2:38 am

Get the good crimper tool!

JimF
Site Admin

Postby JimF » Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:24 am

I agree, don't go cheap on a crimping tool.

But in this case I just slide the barrel over the stripped end of the wire and solder it on. I don't want to compress the barrel and make it out-of-round as the metal cylinder is what slides into the terminal blocks in the headlight bucket.

But when you are going to use a crimper see if your budget can afford one like this:

crimper.jpg

Most of the multi-tools that strip wires, cut screws, etc. do a poor job of everything they do. A dedicated crimping tool is the way to go.

Jim
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Octane

Postby Octane » Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:43 am

Legends! Thanks so much for that info Jim!

I'm planning on buying the wiring this week (just need to work out what lengths of each colour I need) and then installing it all next week.

I'll make up a new wiring diagram with the correct colours and lengths between each leg etc and post it up on here once I'm done.
I'll do the same for the Mach 1 which we could then incorporate into your excellent installation guide above? :-)

JimF
Site Admin

Postby JimF » Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:07 am

I found my Mach 1 wiring list... Colors, lengths, etc.

Untitled.jpg

You can use it or calculate your own lengths and compare it to mine.

I went to an online "British sire supplier" to find the colors I needed, particularly because I wanted to make a harness with the factory colors, including wires with a base color insulator and a colored stripe running through it.

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”