Compression release photo needed

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

DewCatTea-Bob

Re: Compression release photo needed

Postby DewCatTea-Bob » Sat May 08, 2010 6:32 am

" Valve cover - the lever is 180 deg out of wack. Should face to the larger end. "

____ Not necessarily ! ... The lever (as pictured) is facing one of two rearward normal-positions,, in this case, the right-front cyl.bolt. _ If this lever's threaded fulcrum-holder is fully/tightly threaded into the ex.valve-cover, then it's comp.release set-up (as pictured), was last used along with a thick egg-shaped washer fitted under the hex.head of the front-right cyl.bolt ! _ That special cyl.bolt-washer includes an added hole for the inner-cable (of the comp.release handle-bar cable) to be tied-down to.
__ In some other cases, (depending on the angle resulting from where/when the lever-arm's threaded-holder tightens-down at), either the front-left cyl.bolt location, or, one of the small holes in the lower-front of the fins on the ex.valve-cover, can serve as an alternate tie-down location.
____ I much suspect that the engine which this pictured ex.valve-cover came from, ought to include the special egg-shaped cyl.bolt-washer, (providing that none of the 4 stock cyl.bolt-washers have been lost).

____ On the diagram below,
within the large lower-right RED-boxed area, can be found all the compression-release parts (of the specially drilled & tapped ex.valve-cover), and, within the inner BLACK-boxed area, is found the 'lever-arm' (not the comp.release 'hand-lever'!), which is indexed as part # 875, as well as it's threaded 'fulcrum-holder', which is indicated as part # 850,,
and within the small upper RED-box, is found the "egg-shaped" cable tie-down bracket (indicated as # 840).

DUKE-Cheers,
DCT-Bob
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
PLEASE NOTE... If this-post is not-yet signed-off with '-Bob', then I'm still in the process of completing it,, and if not also included with 'DCT' near bottom as well, then I may edit this post's wording at a later time. - Dct.Bob

Teckhardt

Postby Teckhardt » Sat May 08, 2010 3:11 pm

You are correct - It can work in that position too.

The part that screws into the valve cover (850/860) has two holes in it. This allows the arm to face either direction depending on which one the pin goes thru.

Since this part is off my bike, I know its in the "wrong" spot. I put the arm in the "wrong" position for the quick photo ;)
1970 450 SCR

Teckhardt

Postby Teckhardt » Sat May 08, 2010 3:36 pm

You can kinda see the little egg shaped holder in this photo.

Also looks like there is some sort of u-shaped strap that goes over the arm on this set up.

Photo is from Flemming Juel's website.

http://www.buen40.dk/Ducati-Scrambler
1970 450 SCR

Teckhardt

Postby Teckhardt » Fri May 14, 2010 10:52 pm

There is a compression release mount (missing the levers) on ebay now

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DUCATI-B ... ccessories
1970 450 SCR

DewCatTea-Bob

Postby DewCatTea-Bob » Sat May 15, 2010 2:12 am

" on ebay now "

____ Sort-of odd that you'd place a post with something of this particular eBay seller's ...
I recently had the opportunity to win a couple of this seller's auctions ! _ And I wish to let you all know that it's best to take careful note of THIS eBay-seller's shipping-charges... Cuz not only are his stated charges somewhat inflatedly high to begin with,, in these days of eBay clamping-down on their sellers who overcharge for shipping, this seller didn't even automatically 'combine-shipping' charges (except to HIS own favor!).
__ Last-week I won a DUKE-cyl.jug with a busted fin from that seller (before I noted that his shipping-charge for it was at 20-bucks, [about double what it ought to be!]). _ I then quickly looked-over his other listings to see if he had anything else I might want, so that I could have something else shipped along with the cyl.jug, for that 20-bucks shipping-charge for the combined-shipment.
I then did find another item that could fit inside the cyl.jug, so I bid on it just before it's listing ended and won it as well. _ It's shipping charge was listed at 15-bucks but, you'd expect that that amount would be meant for shipping it all by itself ! _ But not with this seller ! _ He sent me an invoice with $35 for shipping (just the two items!) !
I emailed his invoice back pointing-out that it's shipping cost had not been adjusted for combined-shipment of both items together, and also pointed-out to him that shipping both items together to me would be only about 12-bucks, and thus he should be well-to-do with just the 20-bucks,, (other sellers either would've agreed with that or merely asked for just 1-buck extra for 'handling'), but no such cooperation on that from this seller ! _ He said I should've asked about it before I bid.
And before I could then request that he then ship each item separately, in fair exchange for my full-payment of his high shipping-charges,, he informed me that my items were both already packaged-up together in a sealed box and that he has been expecting the payment for the invoice which he had sent me !
This email-exchange started the day after I had won both items, not too long after receiving a second identical invoice from him.
__ If he had had all his separate items already packaged-up ahead of time, then I could understand his refusal to discount his shipping-charge total,, but it seems that this particular seller wishes to take advantage of eBay's lack of absolute follow-through on their seller's shipping-charges... (As he had emailed back that he's not going to change the invoice , [to lower it's stated shipping-charge].)
__ So this post is meant to let others of us who may be interested in any of this seller's listed items, be forewarned about his inclination & lack of fair cooperation !

Hopeful-Cheers,
-Bob
PLEASE NOTE... If this-post is not-yet signed-off with '-Bob', then I'm still in the process of completing it,, and if not also included with 'DCT' near bottom as well, then I may edit this post's wording at a later time. - Dct.Bob

Eldert

Postby Eldert » Sat May 15, 2010 7:08 am

Hi Bob

i have a simple solution for this . just leave negative feedback something like : seller way overcharged me on the shipping
that will get their attention
i have done this and the seller then asked me to change my feedback. i said OK if you refund the money you overcharged me
witch he did and i changed the feedback to pos

Eldert

DucBevellvr

Postby DucBevellvr » Sat May 15, 2010 3:33 pm

Bad luck there Bob! (I myself haven't run into any greedy sellers on ebay for over a year!)

I've dealt with that same seller myself! Back before ebay changed their rules, I think it was 3 years ago when I won a couple actions for some Ducati parts, and had a similar issue with that same seller. (Who I don't think is a "guy" like you think Bob, because that seller's first name is 'Terry', if I'm not mistaken.)
I had to threaten negative feedback, and then she sent me another invoice with lower shipping only $5 more than actual cost. I never gave that seller any feedback of any kind though because, I was afraid of getting negative feedback in return then. (I learned my lesson long ago not to be the first one who leaves feedback for a transaction!)
Glad ebay fixxed it so sellers can't give neg fedback like before their changes since back then.

I see what you mean about her high charges now, as it should only cost less than half of what she has listed for that little part (found with the link)! It should be only $4.95 to send that plain lever bracket by "Priority", or even less by "Parcel Post"!

If anyone else gets any Ducati parts from that seller, it could be interesting to learn how YOUR dealing goes with her.

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”