Compression release photo needed

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

JimF
Site Admin

Compression release photo needed

Postby JimF » Fri May 07, 2010 1:23 pm

Can someone post or email me a photo of the compression release mechanism for a scrambler?

The back story on this is that there is a bicycle seller in the next town to the north of me that sold Ducati in the 1960s and 70s. He has some NOS stuff but its hard to get him to dig for it.

A friend of mine is going in to see if he has the compression release for someone else, so my friend wants to take a photo with to be sure he communicates what it is he's looking to buy and to be sure the bicycle seller sells him the right thing.

"Do you have a picture of the Ducati comp release lever and mount? I am
working on [name removed] and I want to make sure I get the correct part. This
is for a 350 scrambler."

I presume it is a handlebar mounted release lever and so my friend wants a photo the release lever and the mount as well.

Thanks for the help.

Jim

Teckhardt

Re: Compression release photo needed

Postby Teckhardt » Fri May 07, 2010 5:09 pm

Jim:

Are you looking for the handelbar mounted lever (its part of the clutch lever) or the valve cover. I have it all off my bike so I could take pics of the parts but not the way they are hooked up.
1970 450 SCR

JimF
Site Admin

Postby JimF » Fri May 07, 2010 6:50 pm

My friend says its for a 350 scrambler, though he doesn't own a Duc himself. So he must be looking for one for some friend of his outside our mutual circle of riders.

I told him I thought only the 450s got compression releases, and that I thought some (perhaps street models) were operated from the handlebars while some releases might have been local to the cylinder head.

I guess was kind of hoping someone here would tell me what a 350 scrambler should or would have had. What is yours? Is there a depiction of it in the parts manual? It there is that would be enough that you wouldn't need to photograph it.

Jim

Teckhardt

Postby Teckhardt » Fri May 07, 2010 8:17 pm

Mine is a 450. No idea if the 350 is the same - sorry.

Let me know if you want pics of what I have.
1970 450 SCR

JimF
Site Admin

Postby JimF » Fri May 07, 2010 8:29 pm

I'll take pics if you don't mind. I don't want to debate with my friend or the owner of the bike whether or not the 350 ever had or ever needed a compression release, I'll just give him the pictures as a favor and stay out of the way.

Pete

Postby Pete » Fri May 07, 2010 8:53 pm

Trigbe

Postby Trigbe » Fri May 07, 2010 9:22 pm

As the friend that is unnamed in this thread and being Duckless I appreciate any photos and or tips/advice. I grew up around single Ducati's as my older brother was the shop boy for our local dealer that sold every marque imported by the Berliner brothers. Puch anyone? I am still trying to get my brother's Diana away from him as he has gone over to 356's. Intill then I putz around on my B44VS which always had 10 cc.advantage on Jim's 450. Push rod motor though with the upgraded Amal carb.
Thanks
Trig Haroldson

Teckhardt

Postby Teckhardt » Fri May 07, 2010 10:49 pm

Duc Singles Admin wrote:I'll take pics if you don't mind. I don't want to debate with my friend or the owner of the bike whether or not the 350 ever had or ever needed a compression release, I'll just give him the pictures as a favor and stay out of the way.

I will try to remember to take some tonight.
1970 450 SCR

DewCatTea-Bob

Postby DewCatTea-Bob » Fri May 07, 2010 11:34 pm

____ There has already been at least one other related thread which covers much of the same subject-matter that some of the posts within this one touch-on !
So since this thread might be found first, I'll just add some info to fill-in some blanks left in this thread.
__ The first DUKE to to get a compression-release set-up, was the 1965 350-Sebring.
All 350 models except DESMOs came stock with a hand-operated compression-release mechanism ! _ And the same set-up was used on non-DESMO 450 models!
All such set-ups were handlebar_&_cable operated ! _ Even the alternate set-ups found on 450R/T & 350-Mototrans models (with the combustion-chamber pres.relief-valve [instead of the ex.valve-cover set-up] ) !
__ The 350-DESMOs didn't really need any comp.release because, unlike the Sebring, the wild valve-timing of the DESMO-cam doesn't trap as much air within the cylinder (at kick-over RPM) !
(In fact, the cam -[250Monza-cam] within the Sebring is so mild that even with the Sebring's lower 8.5:1 compression-ratio [vs. 9.5 for DESMO], the Sebring is still in more need of a comp.release than the 350-DESMO!)

Dukaddy-DUKEs,
-Bob
PLEASE NOTE... If this-post is not-yet signed-off with '-Bob', then I'm still in the process of completing it,, and if not also included with 'DCT' near bottom as well, then I may edit this post's wording at a later time. - Dct.Bob

Teckhardt

Postby Teckhardt » Sat May 08, 2010 4:58 am

Best I can do since mine are off the bike

Handlebar levers

Valve cover - the lever is 180 deg out of wack. Should face to the larger end.

1970 450 SCR

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”