450 Desmo rear hub - help!

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

Stratos23

450 Desmo rear hub - help!

Postby Stratos23 » Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:59 am

Hello, from New Zealand!

Although i've been tinkering with old Ducati TWINS for years now, I'm new to this forum having finally got my hands on a beautiful 450 Silver Shotgun - a bike I've frothed over since I first saw one in my impressionable youth! It's very original but suffers from being put together by its previous owner from a box of parts - and so some things just aren't as they should be.

But today's issue is with the rear hub, which is the FOUR bearing version without the circlip in the cush-drive side. I've just installed sealed bearings, but suspect that the order and orientation of the various spacer bushes is out - and perhaps some are missing - because there is binding as I crank up the axle spindle nuts.

Does anyone have a clear exploded diagram of the four bearing hub? I have the exploded diagram of the earlier version from the original manual, but it's both hard to decipher and different to my hub, particularly on the right/sprocket side. I can turn up spacers if I have to, but first just want to know what it should look like to start with!

Thanks in advance, Greg

ducwiz

Re: 450 Desmo rear hub - help!

Postby ducwiz » Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:53 am

Hi,

the arrangement of all the bits is visible in this drawing from the 450's spare parts catalog:

Parts 410, 295, 290 and 480 define whether the hub bearings and/or those in the sprocket carrier bind if the axle nut is tightened. The lengths of them are also given in the PC:

290: 9.5mm
295: 19.5mm
410: 6.0mm
480: 84.5mm

You can at first check both components on their own, i. e. using the axle and some pieces of steel tubing, then altogether mounted in the swing arm.

cheers Hans

Stratos23

Postby Stratos23 » Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:43 am

Brilliant - thanks Hans!

This is indeed the exploded diagram I was looking for. I really need a copy of the 450 parts catalogue - the previous owner apparently has one, but hasn't been able to track it down as yet.

Looking at the diagram, the arrangement/orientation of spacers on the sprocket side was not as it should be. That said, I mocked up the hub in the vice yesterday to approximate clearances and any side-loads on the bearings. Looks like I might have to turn one more up to get it right.

If it's not too much trouble, would you mind sending through a scan of the legend (part names/numbers) to this diagram - or if you know of a link where I can download an entire 450 parts catalogue?

Thanks again,

Greg

ducwiz

Postby ducwiz » Mon Nov 02, 2015 7:51 pm

Hi Greg,

the 450 catalog is an addendum to the 250/350 version. If you like, I can send it via email, it's roughly 1.5MB. You can send me your address in a PM.

Hans

Stratos23

Postby Stratos23 » Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:39 am

Hello Hans - that's a very kind offer - THANKYOU!

I've just sent you a PM as suggested.

Kind Regards,

Greg

JimF
Site Admin

Postby JimF » Wed Nov 04, 2015 2:22 am

If Hans has only the 450 addendum let me know. I should have the wide case parts manual. Fellow member and good friend to all of us "ajleone" scanned a lot of manuals for us.

Jim

themoudie

Postby themoudie » Mon May 20, 2019 5:50 pm

Please may I ask if either Hans, Greg or Jim are still posting on this forum?

Would any of them, or others, be so kind as to provide a scan/link of the 450 MKIII/DESMO 4 bearing rear hub layout and bearing specifications for this hub?

I have a '74 450 MKIII that I have owned since '76 and since dismantling the rear hub in 2005 the bits are 'muddled' and the original bearings removed! :oops: I think that I have sorted out the spacers. 2 provide support for the bearings in the sprocket carrier and the plain spacer sits between the outer bearing and the swing arm, but I would like re-assurance please. I can post images of the 2 sprocket carrier types, if required.

I believe that the bearings would be 6004 RS (20x42x12)?

Thank you for your time and assistance.

Bill

JimF
Site Admin

Postby JimF » Tue May 21, 2019 3:29 am

Check your email, I think you should see four emails from me containing some PDFs unless either your or my email server rejected one or more owing to their size.

Jim

Bevel bob

Postby Bevel bob » Tue May 21, 2019 7:02 am

Jim to the rescue yet again!, what a fantastic resource this forum is, all down to the people that inhabit it. And a real bonus, No bad tempered trolls!.Easily the most helpful bunch of bike freaks.

themoudie

Postby themoudie » Tue May 21, 2019 9:34 am

Aye Jim,

Thank you for taking the trouble to email me the pdf's.

However, I had forgotten to amend my email address on the forum after changing my provider! :oops: Please accept my apologies for the gaff and may I ask if it is possible to send the pdf's to my now correct email address?

My regards, Bill

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”