Length of 1969 Mark 3 rear fender

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

nortnlvr

Length of 1969 Mark 3 rear fender

Postby nortnlvr » Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:50 pm

I was wondering if anyone would be willing to measure over the top from front to back the total length of a widecase Mark 3 fender? I have a partial fender and am going to have a friend weld on the rest, but I would like it to be as close to original as possible. If you have pictures that would be great too! Thanks mgl.

nortnlvr

Re: Length of 1969 Mark 3 rear fender

Postby nortnlvr » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:26 am

A friend measured his and the total length was 44.5 inches.

Bob,

Question for you, I see 2 fenders on Mark 3 models some 44.5 inches and some shorter. What is the difference?

DewCatTea-Bob

Postby DewCatTea-Bob » Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:23 am

I see 2 fenders on Mark 3 models some 44.5 inches and some shorter. What is the difference? "

____ Well first, I'd suspect that the shorter rear-fender had surcumbed to the common cracking-problem which those stock-fenders often suffer from, (and usually their owners just go-ahead & cut-off the cracked-part, the rest of the way).
__ I've only ever seen just one wide-case 250Mark-3 (non-'D'), it was a 1968-model and it was very beautiful, with red-painted frame, & (I think) silver-painted headlamp & fenders, with red-painted side-covers & dual filler-cap tank, (with SSI-29mm carb) .
I've never seen one of those early w-c Mk3s side-by-side with a 250-DESMO, but I would not at all be surprised if the DESMO's rear-fender was a bit longer !
__ I've only seen pictures (in cycle-mags of the time), showing the 1969 250Mark-3 (non-D), and it looked to be no different from the '69 250-DESMO with it's chrome-sided tank, but with a black-painted headlamp (like the SCR's) in place of the DESMO's chromed-headlamp,, I think both models sharing the same stainless-fenders by late '69, (when they all started coming with fork-locks and the VHB-carbs).
So I doubt that the rear-fenders were any different between the std.Mk3 & the DESMO-version by the later half of that year. _ (By 1970, I don't think Berliner imported std.Mk3s anymore.)
(Wish Tom B. would help clear-up some of these kind of details ! )
__ What model of carb came with your w-c Mk3? _ Does it have a fork-lock?
____ Does anyone else here have a wide-case Mark-3 of any year?

DUKE-Cheers,
-Bob
PLEASE NOTE... If this-post is not-yet signed-off with '-Bob', then I'm still in the process of completing it,, and if not also included with 'DCT' near bottom as well, then I may edit this post's wording at a later time. - Dct.Bob

ajleone

Postby ajleone » Sat May 01, 2010 12:13 pm

My 1974 450 Mark 3 (non-desmo) has a VHB29 carb. My 1970 450 Scrambler has the same carb and both have a steering lock.

The fenders look to be the same and measure about 44 inches around.
Tony

nortnlvr

Postby nortnlvr » Thu May 06, 2010 8:16 pm

Bob,

Remember I sold my ssi27 carb. I now have an amal mounted on it. I bought another fender on ebay, however, I believe it is a fender for a 68 and earlier narrow case mark 3 as the forward raised mounting holes are under the seat. Did the widecase mark 3 ever have this shorter fender? Thanks mgl.

DewCatTea-Bob

Postby DewCatTea-Bob » Thu May 06, 2010 10:47 pm

" Remember I sold my ssi27 carb. "

____ I do recall that you sold a Dellorto-carb back when you had the rest of your Mk3 in parts & listed on eBay but, I thought it was a 29VHB model ?

" I now have an amal mounted on it. "

____ What size Amal-carb? _ What engine was it from originally?

" I bought another fender on ebay, however, I believe it is a fender for a 68 and earlier narrow case mark 3 as the forward raised mounting holes are under the seat. "

____ If I correctly understand your description, that doesn't seem to be a fender from any Mk3 model. ...
__ The n-c Mk3 fender had three mounting-points...
at the lower-front, a single-hole for mounting to the frame's batt.base eye-bracket tab,,
at the center-top, a bracket (held to the fender with three rivets) mounts to the pair of eye-bracket tabs which are also meant for securing the seat (to the frame-loop near the upper shock-mounts),,
and at the rear, a single-hole for mounting to the eye-bracket tab on the rear-end of the frame's rear-loop.
__ The w-c Mk3 rear-fender has the same three mounting-locations, with the only major difference being that the rear mounting-bracket has a bracket-tab with two (side-by-side) eyes (instead of just one eye) !
____ Can you post a pic of the fender that's in question?

" Did the widecase mark 3 ever have this shorter fender? "

____ At this point, I'm doubting it.
Can you provide a link to it's eBay-listing?

Hopeful-Cheers,
-Bob
PLEASE NOTE... If this-post is not-yet signed-off with '-Bob', then I'm still in the process of completing it,, and if not also included with 'DCT' near bottom as well, then I may edit this post's wording at a later time. - Dct.Bob

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”