Scrambler fender donor ideas?

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

tobydmv

Scrambler fender donor ideas?

Postby tobydmv » Wed May 20, 2015 8:54 pm

Well i've been trying to find a rear NC Scrambler(66/67) fender on ebay for almost a year now and only one has turned up. I lost the auction of course. I think it went for $300 or so. Since i'm not a purist and favor a nice running bike i'm trying to find something else that will fit. So I thought i'd ask the group if they knew something that might fit and look the part. I do have a spare Motobi/Benelli barracuda rear fender. Width is good but its probably 6" too short. Seems the scrambler rear fenders are pretty dang long. I could maybe weld in some sheet metal where it mounds to the battery box area, idk... What do you guys think? Maybe a generic cafe racer steel fender? One of the fiberglass shops has a street fender but I dont think they listed the length.
Thanks,
Toby

Sam

Re: Scrambler fender donor ideas?

Postby Sam » Thu May 21, 2015 11:53 am

WHA'S LIKE US
DAMN FEW AND THEY'RE A'DEID

amartina75

Postby amartina75 » Thu May 21, 2015 1:49 pm

fenders can be really hard to find, it took me years to find them for my MK3 project. I've seen quite a few sell on eBay in the past 5 years or so, far more then MK3 fenders. Prices for everything have gone up quite a lot recently, sometimes bordering on the absurd. I think $300 for a scrambler fender is pretty high as I've seen several sell in the $150 range.
as for possible swaps I'd look at Benelli, Motobi, Aermacchi or other Italian makes. some of the Benelli fenders are pretty narrow and deep, more like a Mark III fender then scrambler. The Aermacchi Sprint fenders are pretty cheap you could buy two of them and trim them down and weld them together with the seam under the seat. I wouldn't recommend this unless you are experienced with sheet metal work. You might need to expand your search to worldwide, and many places call them mudguards. I wouldn't be terribly concerned with the length, a lot of scrambler fenders you will see have been trimmed in the rear due to damage, and they don't look bad. you could loose a few inches, maybe even 6" and it will still look fine. do you have the correct CEV tail light bracket? the road model brackets mount to the fender above the frame loop. here are some pictures of a scrambler that just sold on eBay for $8000 it is 99% correct but notice the rear fender is either shortened or not factory.
good luck, hope you find one that works.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1966 250 Scrambler
1970 450 Jupiter

tobydmv

Postby tobydmv » Thu May 21, 2015 11:09 pm

Here's the front fender that went for $300. I probably confused the rear fender auction with this one. I cant find the rear fender auction, it might have been $200.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/161672204983?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT

Well I like the fab idea alot but I have no idea how long it should be. Does anyone know what the proper fender dimensions are?

amartina75

Postby amartina75 » Fri May 22, 2015 12:02 am

I can measure mine sometime in the next few days unless someone else does it first.
as for the link you posted that fender looks like a widecase Spanish road model fender and not a NC Scrambler fender and definitely not worth that kind of money in my opinion. as for finding stuff on eBay you have to be patient and search allot, like every day. things sell for more then their worth all the time.
1966 250 Scrambler
1970 450 Jupiter

tobydmv

Postby tobydmv » Mon May 25, 2015 2:20 am

amartina75

Postby amartina75 » Mon May 25, 2015 2:19 pm

yeah what a deal right, LOL. even if it was a Mark 3 fender that would be outrageous. that is the perfect example of what to watch out for on eBay. I emailed that seller when he posted that and told him it wasn't a Mark 3 fender. he insisted it was, then later added the caveat at the bottom.
I should be able to measure my scrambler fender this afternoon for you. it is on the bike so I won't be able to get perfect measurements. if you do end up fabricating a rear fender it would probably be best to just make it fit your frame.

one of the links is a generic fender that might work for you
the other is a set of fenders for a Road model, not sure how they would fit I think the front would bolt on pretty easy maybe someone else here knows.

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=111673411327
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=321759474698
1966 250 Scrambler
1970 450 Jupiter

amartina75

Postby amartina75 » Mon May 25, 2015 4:56 pm

tip to tip I got 28.5"
around the arc 42"
12.5" tall
4.25" wide

there is room in the frame for a wider fender up to 5" wide would fit you may have to clearance it around the chain guard.
it looks like the one on eBay might work given the dimensions listed in the description.
do you just need a rear fender or both?
1966 250 Scrambler
1970 450 Jupiter

joe46ho

Postby joe46ho » Mon Jun 01, 2015 5:01 am

If you still need one I have 3 spares.... two are trimmed in the back (very common thing to find on these) the other one is pretty rough. The rough one i could let go very cheap, and also send pictures and measurements of a factory un-modified fender with it... Im planning on putting all 3 on ebay soon, none are perfect thats for sure but these are all fixable...
Joe
Too many projects to list...
12 Ducati singles currently

amartina75

Postby amartina75 » Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:53 pm

the not real mark3 fender that was mentioned earlier in this posting sold. I hope no members on here bought it.
well as I mentioned I did message that seller to inform him he was misleading people with his listing. he sent me an message today to rub in his "victory" to me. like I needed to know.
I recommend not having any dealings with this seller his name is co_jack80
here is the message he sent me
image.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1966 250 Scrambler
1970 450 Jupiter

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”