Mainshaft oilway roll pin?

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

Bevel bob

Mainshaft oilway roll pin?

Postby Bevel bob » Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:03 pm

Should there be a roll pin here? put in to increase oil pressure towards the cam? but must reduce oil flow to big end?, I have seen pictures of cranks with and without,I have a roll pin in the cam at the bevel end to force more oil to the rockers and this seems a good idea with no downside as the oil gets to the bevels in plenty.

DewCatTea-Bob

Re: Mainshaft oilway roll pin?

Postby DewCatTea-Bob » Sat May 01, 2010 10:51 pm

" Should there be a roll pin here? put in to increase oil pressure towards the cam? but must reduce oil flow to big end?, "

____ I believe this is one of two posts in which I've noticed that you have referred to the 'crankshaft', as the "main-shaft" ...
__ I realize that spoken-English -('British') within your great Commonwealth, uses many English-terms differently than we use them here in the USA.
Here we distinguish the three SHAFTs (within the 'bottom-end'), as in the following example...
The CRANK-SHAFT -(with pinion-gear) turns the MAIN-SHAFT -(via basket/primary-gear), which turns the LAY-SHAFT -(via transmission-gears) .
__ Now if you fellas -('blokes' ?) actually refer to the 'crankshaft' as the "mainshaft", then what is YOUR name for the 'main-shaft' ? _ (It can't be 'layshaft', as that would just be out-rightly wrong!)

" I have seen pictures of cranks with and without, "

____ I've also noticed that the right tip-ends of SOME crankshafts & SOME camshafts contain that 'split-pin' -(spring-pin/"roll pin" ?), which seems to have the sole-purpose of partially diverting the oil-flow.
Unfortunately, I myself have never learned the actual-reason for why it's only found in just the places where it's sometimes found. _ And I don't think I've ever seen it pointed-out by any Ducati parts-book.
Hopefully Eldert can shed some light on this issue !
____ I'm sure I had read some-where within this w.site, of somebody asking about removing that particular obstacle from the right tip-end of the crankshaft, so as to increase oil-flow to the con.rod ...
Of course doing that would then cut some of the oil-pressure to the 'top-end' parts. _ So if there's not already a similar split-pin within the right tip-end of the camshaft, then I'd recommend putting one there ! - (So that the cam-lobes & rocker-arms still get about the same oiling as they had before.)
Also as well, since the bearing on the left tip-end of the crankshaft doesn't really need the additional oil-flow which it would then receive (if the split-pin in the RIGHT tip-end is removed), I'd highly suggest inserting a similar split-pin into the left tip-end of the crankshaft.
That way, both the con.rod AND the top-end would then receive additional oil-pressure !

" I have a roll pin in the cam at the bevel end to force more oil to the rockers and this seems a good idea with no downside "

____ I agree !
I've always inserted -(but not quite all the way in!), a tight-fitting split-pin into that location, for my higher-revving projects .
Unfortunately, I've never really tried to remove any such pins (which had happened to have been inserted within the crank's right tip-end) of any of those projects, simply because they were stuck too far inward, (and thus were not easy to be removed), so I never saw enough reason to bother trying.

DUKE-Cheers,
-Bob
PLEASE NOTE... If this-post is not-yet signed-off with '-Bob', then I'm still in the process of completing it,, and if not also included with 'DCT' near bottom as well, then I may edit this post's wording at a later time. - Dct.Bob

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”