250 Monza identification

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

Totally Pumped

Re: 250 Monza identification

Postby Totally Pumped » Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:33 pm

DewCatTea-Bob wrote:
____ Could you please post a link to that eBay-listing ?
And when you receive your MM.mag, could you post a picture of it opened to the report-article pages and-also it's front-cover as well ?

Bob the ebay link that I used no longer has the description but I found another link below. I will post the pic when I receive the mag in a few weeks.

http://www.heortieg.com/motorcycle-mech ... 2059-p.asp

Ventodue

Postby Ventodue » Sat Mar 21, 2015 6:31 pm

DewCatTea-Bob wrote: ____ Of that claim, I'm even more certain that Mr.F is wrong, as I'm positive that the 1968 w-c.versions still employed the same 24mm-Del.carb as the n-c.versions did !

Ah, thanks for the correction, Bob. In fact, if I look very closely at the photo in Ian's book, I can see it's a UB24 (also like wot Jon says), not a SS ;).
And thanks too for the explanation about the valve sizes. Got it! As you say, 'tis all in the wording ...

Craig

DewCatTea-Bob

Postby DewCatTea-Bob » Sun Mar 29, 2015 4:31 pm

DewCatTea-Bob wrote:____ Another parts-difference that the w-c.Monza/Sebring-versions employ, is a different camshaft, (although still referred-to as the 'Violet' color-coded cam-model) !
I have the associated factory-specs for the valve-timing & lift figures, if anyone cares to have me list them.
____ It seems we have no members who're like myself who'd instantly jump-on any chance to eat-up such cam.model-data.
__ Anyhow, since I was recently inspired to look-up such data for the w-c.250-ROAD cam.model, I then went ahead and also checked the v.timing-figures for the w-c.Monza cam.model (as given within an official Ducati supplemental-booklet).
And the given timing-specs are stated as follows...
Intake - opens 22-degrees before TDC and closes 60-degrees after BDC ;
Exhaust - opens 51-degrees before BDC and closes 28-degrees after TDC .
Those figures* make the w-c.Monza/Sebring cam.model the mildest of any-other 250/350/450-camshaft ! - (* As can be compared to the original Violet/n-c.Monza cam.model timing-figures of: 20bt - 70ab / 50bb - 30at .)
__ The given "Valve lift" figures are stated as "7.4mm" and "7.2mm" - (If that's actually the cam's lobe-lift amount, then that would make those figures .2mm shorter than that of the n-c.Violet-cam.model.)
I've never had a w-c.Violet-cam.model in my camshaft-collection, but I've always found other w-c.versions to be obviously distinct due-to their smaller cam-track base-circles which are no higher than near 1mm above the shaft's main-OD,, (whereas the n-c.versions have much larger base-circles which distinctly protrude above the shaft-surface by at-least 2mm).

____ An interesting side-note well worthy of mention concerning my "operator's handbook" supplemental w-c.booklet, (which was printed "September 1967"),, curiously enough, happens to show the picture-drawings of both the w-c.Monza & w-c.Sebring models depicted with what are obviously SSI-carb.models ! _ But-yet their spec.pages state the carb.model as "UBF 24 BS" !
We've all seen the picture-drawings of various Duke-models shown by owner's-manuals and the like,, and while they do tend to appear nearly good enough to be actual camera-taken 'photographs', they must instead rather be some kind of artist-concoction created from some Duke-model photo with other part-drawings pasted-over to properly emulate whichever model the base-pic needed to be altered into in order to better resemble the particular Duke-model intended to be represented.
I've come to this conclusion after looking closely at the image of the w-c.Monza with a magnifying-glass, and discovering that the depicted engine is exactly the same as that of the 350-Scrambler with 9-fins (instead of 8) on the cyl.jug and comp.release-lever on the ex.valve-cover (exactly the same as all the 350-models' images). _ And the Monza & Sebring images are completely identical except for the name-detailing on their air-filtering/R.side-cover, which is connected with accordion-duct/tubing to the SSI-carb's inlet by what appears to be the same alloy-elbow that the Scrambler-type louver-finned filter-assembly's outlet-plate threads onto, however rather with that elbow rotated-around near 180d (from the regular SSI/Scr.angle-position) so that the side-cover/air-box's accordion-duct/tubing is then enabled to fit onto it (in place of the Scr.type round filter-assembly). _ Thusly well appearing as if all purposely engineered rather than concocted by an artist ! _ So if I hadn't bothered with the detective-work which indicated that the model-images pretty-much melt-down to actually being speciously bogus, then I'd still be fooled into presuming that the depicted model-images were actually real-life examples.
__ So anyhow, perhaps Mr. I.F. had once seen such a w-c.Monza/Sebring pic.drawing depicted with a SSI-carb,, and-so on such as that alone, thusly must've concluded that those w-c.models apparently came stock with the depiction-indicated SSI-carb.model. _ (However I'd expect such a book-author to research for confirming info before publishing such details as given-fact.)

Enlightening-Cheers,
DCT-Bob
PLEASE NOTE... If this-post is not-yet signed-off with '-Bob', then I'm still in the process of completing it,, and if not also included with 'DCT' near bottom as well, then I may edit this post's wording at a later time. - Dct.Bob

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”