Brake light switch

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

Sam

Brake light switch

Postby Sam » Sun Mar 15, 2015 7:18 am

Hi I have almost completed the wiring but have not found a suitable rear brake light switch yet, has anyone found a replacement suitable to the over priced Ducati item? I have picked up a few Japanese items but they are all 12mm the original fitment attaches to the hole in the lug and is only 10mm I could bore out the hole but have the frame powder coated and dont want to break the seal.

Cheers Sam
WHA'S LIKE US
DAMN FEW AND THEY'RE A'DEID

Jordan

Re: Brake light switch

Postby Jordan » Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:11 am

Depending on how non-original you are prepared for it to look, there could be many solutions. Suppliers of electrical components, specifically switches, have many many varieties.
Things to consider:
- Do you want it to switch on when physically pressed, or released? Normally OFF, or normally ON.
- Does it have to fit the hole, or OK to use the hole for a bolt/nut to attach the switch?
- Make sure the switch has enough current carrying capacity. Too small ones might burn out.

I've used a Cherry type microswitch successfully for a brake switch. They come in lots of configurations. They look nothing like the Ducati switch.

Jordan

Sam

Postby Sam » Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:35 am

Jordan wrote:Depending on how non-original you are prepared for it to look, there could be many solutions. Suppliers of electrical components, specifically switches, have many many varieties.
Things to consider:
- Do you want it to switch on when physically pressed, or released? Normally OFF, or normally ON. Normally off
- Does it have to fit the hole, or OK to use the hole for a bolt/nut to attach the switch? This would be prefered as would be less conspicuous
- Make sure the switch has enough current carrying capacity. Too small ones might burn out.

I've used a Cherry type microswitch successfully for a brake switch. They come in lots of configurations. They look nothing like the Ducati switch. That would be a bonus as I have not seen such an ugly component what does the cherry switch look like ?

Jordan
WHA'S LIKE US

Jordan

Postby Jordan » Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:51 pm

I don't think a Cherry microswitch is what you want, as it won't fit directly into the hole you have.
I'd be searching the switch catalogues to get the needed type and dimensions.

Pics are of a microswitch on my old BSA.

Jordan

DSCF1331.jpg

DSCF1332.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sam

Postby Sam » Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:27 pm

I have an old A65 brake light switch which I think was originally fitted to the front brake on the conical hub, but cant get it to fit over the nipple on the brake cable without destroying it.
WHA'S LIKE US

Jordan

Postby Jordan » Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:01 am

The sort of captive cable brake switch BSA used was made by a company named Burgess in the UK - also makers of microswitches.
They are a neat but maybe silly idea, as they tend to wear out long before the cable. I have one on the front brake of my 1969 BSA.
They were also fitted as standard equipment on some Ducatis, especially singles with rear-set footpegs.
The Burgess switch is being reproduced, and very sensibly marketed as a Lucas product. (????)
http://www.steadfastcycles.com/cart/ind ... ts_id=3878

DewCatTea-Bob

Postby DewCatTea-Bob » Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:21 pm

[quote= Jordan ...
" The Burgess switch is being reproduced, and very sensibly marketed as a Lucas product. "

____ Well that seemingly clever comment provoked a little chuckle, (as I assume was actually intended).
__ Anyhow, here's another related post also by Jordan (that's amongst a 1-page thread of such brake-light switching matters)... viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1873&p=13939#p13938

Hopeful-Cheers,
-Bob
PLEASE NOTE... If this-post is not-yet signed-off with '-Bob', then I'm still in the process of completing it,, and if not also included with 'DCT' near bottom as well, then I may edit this post's wording at a later time. - Dct.Bob

Sam

Postby Sam » Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:18 pm

I did see that post as I had done a search prior to posting but dont think a mercury switch would be a suitable solution.
WHA'S LIKE US

Sam

Postby Sam » Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:28 am

I ended up using a Yamaha DT 175 brake light switch £4.35 delivered. I ran a M12 x 1.25 tap through the hole that was in the lug and I think it looks a neat solution.

Off for an MOT tomorrow. ;)

WHA'S LIKE US

Ventodue

Postby Ventodue » Fri Apr 03, 2015 1:00 pm

Neat solution - thanks for sharing (never know when it might be needed ...)

Good Luck with the MOT!

Cheers

Craig

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”