hi,and a few questions (2nd attempt)

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

DewCatTea-Bob

Re: hi,and a few questions (2nd attempt)

Postby DewCatTea-Bob » Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:30 pm

double diamond wrote:The tank might not be Ducati, or it could be from something like a 175 TS. The seat looks like an early Diana or one of the sporty 175/200 models. Matt
____ I actually pretty-much agree with everything that Matt has supposed. _ When I indicated that the seat "looks like a 4-speed Monza type", I had meant for that to include the old Monza-twin/Diana as well. _ And in fact, the tail of that seat is actually more-so of the Diana-style.
However if the front & rear mounting-points of that seat don't exactly match-up with those of the frame, then I'd suspect that your seat & tank may've originally come from an old Benelli-model.

Duke-Cheers,
-Bob
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
PLEASE NOTE... If this-post is not-yet signed-off with '-Bob', then I'm still in the process of completing it,, and if not also included with 'DCT' near bottom as well, then I may edit this post's wording at a later time. - Dct.Bob

bodge

Postby bodge » Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:22 pm

i think the front mountings o.k just for a longer tank.although the rear mount doesnt match up but ide assumed that was because the frame has been cut off immediatly behind the shock mount brkt then rewelded back on, ide assumed in the wrong place.
dont supose anyone could give me the correct measurement from centre of rear upper shock mount to centre of seat mount brkt?

DewCatTea-Bob

Postby DewCatTea-Bob » Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:52 am

[quote= bodge ...
" i think the front mountings o.k just for a longer tank.although the rear mount doesnt match up "

____ The seat, (if stock Ducati), should have a pair of vertical fork-brackets with horizontal-slots which align with matching bracket-tabs (located near the upper shock mounting-points and welded to the rear-loop frame-tubing), that allow bolting-down of the seat (along-with the rear-fender's upper mounting-tabs). _ So look for those two pairs of corresponding seat-mounting bracket-attachments on seat & frame.
Or optionally,, post a picture of the underside of that seat, showing the seat's front & rear attachment-brackets. _ Then we can tell more certainly whether that seat is stock-Ducati or not.
__ The outer-hoop of the frame's rear-loop had often been cut-off by numerous owners (for their-own various reasons),, but quite most-often, the chosen cut-off point would be located to the rear-side of the frame's rear seat-bracket/tabs. _ So-thus chances-are, that those frame bracket-tab seat-attachments are probably still intact (likely not too-far from where the outer-hoop was once cut-off).

Hopeful-Cheers,
-Bob
PLEASE NOTE... If this-post is not-yet signed-off with '-Bob', then I'm still in the process of completing it,, and if not also included with 'DCT' near bottom as well, then I may edit this post's wording at a later time. - Dct.Bob

bodge

Postby bodge » Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:25 am

IMAG0028.jpg
IMAG0044.jpg
IMAG0045.jpg
few photos of seat/frame.
first photo shows position of brkts with front mount bolted in.
second underside of seat.
third as you can maybe see in this case the frame was cut off immediatly after the suspension mount bracket.
as its looking increasingly like the only std part is the tank (it was sold as a ts) and the frame has allready been hacked ,ive no desire to spend the money required to return it to std when its a less desirable/valuable model i may as well turn it into some sort of race rep.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jon Pegler

Postby Jon Pegler » Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:41 am

Your frame looks to have the rear loop welded an inch or so too far back.
Usually the leading edge of the seat mounting brackets on the rear loop is almost level with the trailing edge of the top suspension gusset.
This would put the seat mounting hole of the rear loop mounts in line with where your seat naturally wants to sit. ( photo 1 )
Not having an Italian narrowcase frame to hand I can't give you exact measurements, although even the Italian frames vary with some rear loops kicking up slightly at the back.
It would be a simple job to cut the rear loop off and re-weld it an inch shorter if that is what is required.
You just need to know the exact length of the rear loop.
On a Spanish frame it's 27.5 inches from the centre of the front seat mounting bolt hole in the frame to the rear of the frame loop.
It may well be the same on an Italian frame.
Your tank looks like a TS one.
Others will be able to identify the seat better than me, although it looks like an Italian Diana seat.

Jon

bodge

Postby bodge » Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:39 pm

curiouser and curioser ,ive got 27" :shock: ... from the centre of front seat mount to rear of frame so unless the italian frames differ in that respect someones managed to shorten the frame while moving the rear seat mount back,although i thought it looked long too ?

GT Wunder

Postby GT Wunder » Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:24 pm

Climbed down into the catacomb and took some quick measurments. 250M3 and 200 (bushings in frame) 27 1/2 in, and 160's 25 1/2 in. from front seat mount hole to rear of frame loop, All frames 16 1/2 in. between seat mounts. Also measured some tanks - M3 and 200 (round style) 21 in. , 19 in. scrambler and square monza, 18 in. round monza. My 200 seat is like your's underneath but hsa no sleeve at front mount. All measurments quickly taken and may be slightly off. Hope this helps.
George

bodge

Postby bodge » Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:06 pm

thanks george that confirms it that my frames the issue,and that my tank is the shorter variety.the sleeve on the seat has been put on by a previous owner as the original has been sawn thro .

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”