Intro and Alternator Question

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

Eldert

Re: Intro and Alternator Question

Postby Eldert » Tue May 11, 2010 9:31 pm

Hi Clark
if the taper on the crank and the flywheelcentre are not to bad you can do some lapping with valve grinding compound
it is time consuming but it works

Eldert

DewCatTea-Bob

Postby DewCatTea-Bob » Wed May 12, 2010 12:42 am

By: 'ccambern' ...
" Any thoughts or experience with this? "

____ I've dealt with 'spun' rotor centers several times...
Yours sounds no worse than any of those I've had to work with, so I wouldn't bother with all the added work of swapping it's center-mount.
If any of the burring-marks on the mating-surface feel at all sharp, then try smoothing-out their peaks a bit, (possibly with emery-cloth wrapped-around a peg and spun with a hand-drill).
__ I've always gone-ahead & reinstalled such rotors -(with spun-centers) right back onto it's original shaft-tapper, as normally done,, and in most cases, without any preparations. _ That kind of mating seems to still work at least as well as stock-surfaces do ! _ (However I've never measured to determine if removal of a spun-rotor from it's shaft then requires more, or, less pressure,, compared to a normal surface-mating.)
And I've never installed a spun-rotor unto a crankshaft with a non-spun tapper-surface, but if your rotor-center's mating-surface is not real bad, then I'd go-ahead & try it.

Dukaddy-DUKEs,
-Bob
PLEASE NOTE... If this-post is not-yet signed-off with '-Bob', then I'm still in the process of completing it,, and if not also included with 'DCT' near bottom as well, then I may edit this post's wording at a later time. - Dct.Bob

ccambern

Postby ccambern » Wed May 12, 2010 12:00 pm

Thanks. That's the way I was leaning as well. Lapping cpd is a good idea.

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”