Any resto's going this winter?

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

Eldert

Re: Any resto's going this winter?

Postby Eldert » Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:35 am

DesmoDog wrote:Oops... both my projects are narrowcases... a 160 and a 350.

Hi Craig

you can basicly do the same thing on a 4 coil narrowcase alternator . disconect the 2 coil leads that are grounded
solder them together and put same heathshrink tubing over them . this way you put the coils in series

if Bob indeed knows a better way off regulating you could even connect a third wire to the 2 leads and run to the outside
to make this a 3 wire alternator

Eldert

DewCatTea-Bob

Postby DewCatTea-Bob » Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:32 pm

By Eldert: ...
" you can basicly do the same thing on a 4 coil narrowcase alternator . disconect the 2 coil leads that are grounded
solder them together and put same heathshrink tubing over them . this way you put the coils in series
you could even connect a third wire to the 2 leads and run to the outside
to make this a 3 wire alternator "

____ Eldert is correct, doing as he suggests would allow that "60-watt" type alternator to be used in any way that the "70-watt" wide-case alternator could be used.
However, if you're going to bother to modify the Sebring-stator, then you might as well go-ahead & add 2 more wire-leads - one to each of the otherwise grounded coil-leads.

____ I still need the answers to what I had asked before, in order to make further suggestions!
Is the 350-motor all put together, or disassembled?
__ There is a couple of ways to get more power-juice from a stock Monza/Sebring type alternator, but then it's not as easy to keep a 12-volt battery charged - (I assume that's what's wanted?)
In the past, I've converted Monza & Sebring models to batteryless-ignition, with the use of alt.juice which would otherwise be ignored, by the stock-system!
__ So what's actually wanted here?

DUKE-Cheers,
-Bob
PLEASE NOTE... If this-post is not-yet signed-off with '-Bob', then I'm still in the process of completing it,, and if not also included with 'DCT' near bottom as well, then I may edit this post's wording at a later time. - Dct.Bob

Phil W

Postby Phil W » Sat Jan 02, 2010 4:29 pm

Hello guys. What a great board you have here for the Duc Singles. I picked up my first one about 6 months ago and I'm working on getting it back together. It was pretty rough but it now runs and I'm waiting on a set of forks to arrive (mine were shot!)

Do you guys have a good source for reproduction parts and/or some used parts? They seem to be pretty scarce. (My Bonneville has hundreds of sources for used/new parts.)

Regards, Phil

DesmoDog

Postby DesmoDog » Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:49 am

DewCatTea-Bob wrote:____ I still need the answers to what I had asked before, in order to make further suggestions!
Is the 350-motor all put together, or disassembled?
__ There is a couple of ways to get more power-juice from a stock Monza/Sebring type alternator, but then it's not as easy to keep a 12-volt battery charged - (I assume that's what's wanted?)
In the past, I've converted Monza & Sebring models to batteryless-ignition, with the use of alt.juice which would otherwise be ignored, by the stock-system!
__ So what's actually wanted here?

Rather than derail this post further I'll start another one when I can take the time to explain what I've got going on and where I want to go with them.

Thanks

DesmoDog

Postby DesmoDog » Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:56 am

Phil W wrote:Hello guys. What a great board you have here for the Duc Singles. I picked up my first one about 6 months ago and I'm working on getting it back together. It was pretty rough but it now runs and I'm waiting on a set of forks to arrive (mine were shot!)

Do you guys have a good source for reproduction parts and/or some used parts? They seem to be pretty scarce. (My Bonneville has hundreds of sources for used/new parts.)

Regards, Phil

What part of the world are you in? Then again it doesn't really matter I suppose, it just changes the shipping costs.

Domiracer, Syd's Cycles, motoguzzino, Road and Race (Australia), and Desmo (Germany?) to name a few. There are others of course but those seem to be some that I frequent. Depends on what you're looking for really, a lot of the parts were used on different Italian bikes so I've also ordered things from shops specializing in Guzzis and Benellis...

DewCatTea-Bob

Postby DewCatTea-Bob » Sun Jan 03, 2010 6:01 am

" Rather than derail this post further I'll start another one when I can take the time to explain what I've got going on and where I want to go with them. "

____ I myself don't think you've done much of anything to "derail" this thread! _ As it seems to me that it all goes well under this thread-topic!
However, my reply may be wide-scoping enough to be better suited for posting under a new-thread, so as to be more easily found by others who may share some interest in a particular general-topic (which you might bring-up).
So I suggest that you just keep any project-jobs planned for the winter, under this related thread.
(As always, anything which I "suggest", is just a 'suggestion' !)

DUKE-Cheers,
-Bob
PLEASE NOTE... If this-post is not-yet signed-off with '-Bob', then I'm still in the process of completing it,, and if not also included with 'DCT' near bottom as well, then I may edit this post's wording at a later time. - Dct.Bob

dav

Postby dav » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:12 am

This is my first post (g'day all) & just the other week we fired up the 250 for the first time in many many yrs. The bike has't been ridden since 1978 (we still got the old rego sticker), we haved owned since the late 90's. We started to rebuild it at that time but health problems (my father) & time just got away from us, but fast forward to a few weeks ago & all is looking good for a second rebuild, engine was rebuilt after we bought it so we don't have to do that again (just more tunning) but all the paint is getting redone plus the chrome...anyway here's a vid of the 250 ticking over.. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgGKPaDQt7A

btw it's not the "first" start up, we had it running a few days before

Eldert

Postby Eldert » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:32 pm

here a little update on my RT

as i mentioned i added 2 inch in between de rear swingarm . but every time i looked at it it bothered me that there was
a big gap in front of the rear wheel so i removed the swing arm and had a local frame builder bend me a piece of tubing
and made it to fit and had it welded in place . i made up 2 pieces of high tensile sheetmetal to weld on top and below
the fork :

with hindsight i should have build a new swingarm , i would have been faster and less work

most RT fiberglass tanks are leaking so i run into a guy from India on a Ducati forum that had aluminum tanks made
and was looking for sample tanks to replicate in aluminum . i talked him into making RT tanks and send him a sample tank
the tanks were done early January and i have a few on the way .
the alu tanks are offered on E Bay to

Eldert

machten

Postby machten » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:32 pm

Hi Eldert,

Just as point of interest, why did you not get the plate welded longitudinaly down the swing arm as well?

Kev

Eldert

Postby Eldert » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:27 pm

Hi Kev

picture was taken before the plate was welded in place

Eldert

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”