Any resto's going this winter?

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

DewCatTea-Bob

Re: Any resto's going this winter?

Postby DewCatTea-Bob » Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:14 pm

" Been working on Ducks since 1967. "

____ Just wondering Paso996,

If you've been fairly involved with 'Ducati-Singles' since "1967" , then why is it that you use the term "Ducks" ?
As I'm fairly certain that (back in those days), most all of us (DUCATI-lovers) in the U.S., had considered that term as somewhat of an insult.
And strongly preferring the term 'DUKE' for our beloved OHC-singles !
__ The term "Duck" or "Duc" didn't become generally accepted (across the USA), until after the term was much referred to concerning the L-twins !

So I'm assuming that you'd consider yourself more of a L-twin fan,(more so than a D.singles fan), correct?
Or just what would be your explanation, non-U.S. citizen ?

DUKE-Cheers,
-Bob
PLEASE NOTE... If this-post is not-yet signed-off with '-Bob', then I'm still in the process of completing it,, and if not also included with 'DCT' near bottom as well, then I may edit this post's wording at a later time. - Dct.Bob

DesmoDog

Postby DesmoDog » Tue Nov 24, 2009 4:01 pm

DewCatTea-Bob wrote:" Been working on Ducks since 1967. "

____ Just wondering Paso996,

If you've been fairly involved with 'Ducati-Singles' since "1967" , then why is it that you use the term "Ducks" ?
As I'm fairly certain that (back in those days), most all of us (DUCATI-lovers) in the U.S., had considered that term as somewhat of an insult.
And strongly preferring the term 'DUKE' for our beloved OHC-singles !
__ The term "Duck" or "Duc" didn't become generally accepted (across the USA), until after the term was much referred to concerning the L-twins !

So I'm assuming that you'd consider yourself more of a L-twin fan,(more so than a D.singles fan), correct?
Or just what would be your explanation, non-U.S. citizen ?

DUKE-Cheers,
-Bob

Nice... Hey Paso996, welcome to the forum. NOW PROVE TO US YOU ARE WORTHY! :twisted:

Bob -really now. You read a post by, wait for it.... PASO 996 and figured out his preference is twins based on his using the term DUCK rather than DUKE? Outstanding! :lol:

Based on his preference for the term Duke over Duck, I'll bet I know how Bob pronounces Ducati. He says it like the Euros. I'll bet it sounds more like Dewcatee than Duhcotee. Am I right? Image

If we're going to get snippy about 40 year old terminology, how about we also acknowledge that "L twin" is a term invented by the marketing department, and has no engineering significance? Early Ducati literature even refers to it as a "V". These images (stolen from the Bevel Heaven site) clearly show that when the first Ducati twin was introduced, Ducati wasn't calling it an "L". Oh sure, people call it an "L" NOW, but it's offensive to us engineering types.

It's 2009. In the US, Ducatis are referred to as "Ducks" much more often than Dukes. Some people go with the times. Who really gives a rip who's more of a twins or singles fan? Does it matter here? If it does I'm in the wrong place... are we figuring it out to establish who the TRUE fans are and who the posers are? Or are we simply trying to identify the "alpha-duck" as it were? Who the true Duke is? If we're keeping score, hell yeah I"m more of a twins fan, I grew up in Minnesota after all. (a little baseball humor there for our non-US readers...) But seriously, yeah, I've got more twins than singles and if push comes to shove the singles get sold first.

FWIW I cringe whenever I hear someone say "L twin" like it has some sort of significance. I never hear anyone refer to a Guzzi as being an L twin. Why? If the designation of an engine depends on how the engine is situated in the vehicle, then that designation isn't much use, is it? Aside from marketing that is. And so now Ducati does call it an "L" twin as if that makes it special. So, call it an "L" if you must but don't correct someone who calls it a "V twin. (Not that you ever did, I'm just saying). While the use of the term isn't incorrect, it does sort of put anyone who uses it under suspicion of being a Johnny come lately fan than a true tech head. Which is fine, we can't all be rocket scientists.

All that said, in the US I have heard some people define bevel drives as Dukes and belt drives as Ducks. Whatever.

Paso996, a couple pics just for you:
The first bike I ever bought. Bought it new, still own it. had it in the Ducati display at the AMA vintage event in 2005, it ended up in a magazine. I'm famous! :P

The last new bike I ever bought. Still own it. It's the one that made me realize I am not worthy and pushed me towards vintage bikes. In the foreground is one of my latest projects, just so I don't get thrown off the forum for posting pics of twins here...

And since this is a "restoration" post after all, the first Ducati I ever completely rebuilt (though it isn't really "done" yet)

D'oh! Another evil twin! 8-)

And just to make things perfectly clear since A) no one here knows me and B) I should know better than to post before noon, and before I have chocolate - this post was written firmly tongue in cheek. Bob - I'm yanking your antlers! No flames intended. I'm giving ya a hard time.

Thevin

Postby Thevin » Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:22 am

Craig i had a 907IE also,,,,,serial number all zeros then last digit was 7, I was told 1st one imported to US, how knows, fun bike, several trips from Muskegon to Detroit, nice highway bike..

Pete

Postby Pete » Wed Nov 25, 2009 1:26 am

DesmoDog wrote:

If we're keeping score, hell yeah I"m more of a twins fan, I grew up in Minnesota after all. (a little baseball humor there for our non-US readers...)

:lol: :lol: That's pretty funny. Thanks for the chuckle :lol: :lol:

captpaul

Postby captpaul » Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:09 am

I'm an bevel lover, bought my first one in 1962, 62' 200. Got drafted in1965 for Viet Nam and gave it to a total stranger.
Got home and bought a 250 monza, then a sebring w/fruity tank& fenders,took off all the square fenders,tank and head lite and made it a cafe' scratcher.
Since then have had a dozen or so.I own a 1978 bevel twin, never owned a desmo, or belt driven dew-cot-tie.too expensive to maintain. Fell in love with the 907ie,if they made them in valve spring & bevel,I'd sell the farm, you gents with too much money, or never married, can fiddle with belts and shimming. Just my opinion Capt Paul

DewCatTea-Bob

Postby DewCatTea-Bob » Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:32 am

" Bob -really now. You read a post by, wait for it.... PASO 996 and figured out his preference is twins based on his using the term DUCK rather than DUKE? Outstanding! "

____ Well actually Craig, I had not figured-out & presumed what his preference really is! _ Hence the reason why I was asking him if what I was lead to assume, was actually correct. (As I, myself, try not to be presumptuous!)

" Based on his preference for the term Duke over Duck, I'll bet I know how Bob pronounces Ducati. He says it like the Euros. I'll bet it sounds more like Dewcatee than Duhcotee. Am I right? "

____ Glad you brought that up!
While I do agree that 'DUCATI' is often pronounced as "duh cot ee" , I was originally (somewhat) forced to use "dew cat tea" because eBay would not allow me to use 'Ducati-Bob' ! ... And they kept rejecting my choices for names until they finally accepted "dewcattea-bob' . As they (back then) had required new members to make-up a name using such existing words.
So there ya have it.
(Besides, I believe the proper way to pronounce DUCATI, is: 'doo ca tee' .)

" It's 2009. In the US, Ducatis are referred to as "Ducks" much more often than Dukes. "

____ That's no doubt very true Craig, since the DUCATI-twins are newer & more numerous and thus more popular these days! _ Plus the fact that a great number, (if not most), of the twins are currently owned by regular-bikers who don't really own their DUCATI just because it's made by Ducati ! _ And so that type is more apt to not 'give-a-rip', and not really care as much as those like myself.
__ Next, I sure didn't coin the term "DUKE",, I had to accept it, as it was already well established when I got involved with DUCATIs in the mid-'60s !
It was the Jap-bike fans and (to a lesser degree), the Brit-bike fans who would refer to us DUKErs as "duck-lovers" !
Thus I tend to think of those who say "duck", as part of the grouping of bikers who would be just as happy owning some non-Ducati motorcycle. _ (And that sure does not describe me!!! As every single motorcycle of the first 48 which I've owned, were all DUCATIs ! )

" how about we also acknowledge that "L twin" is a term invented by the marketing department, and has no engineering significance? "

____ Well Craig, I was one of the first to independently think that the first Ducati-twins should actually be referred to as 'L-twins', (although i take no credit for starting the use of that CORRECT term.)
__ The copy of the sales-literature which you posted, was influenced by Berliner (the U.S. importer), so there's no telling (going by that brochure), what Ducati themselves actually preferred to type their new motor as!
__ Also, why should any "engineering types" find logical & accurate facts, as "offensive" ??
Have you not ever noticed that a 'V' is less than 90-degrees! _ And that a 'L' is exactly 90-degrees, and that that's the exact angle which the Duc-twins employ!?
How could such facts be of "no engineering significance" ??

" I cringe whenever I hear someone say "L twin" like it has some sort of significance. I never hear anyone refer to a Guzzi as being an L twin. Why? "

____ Well Craig, a Guzzi could actually be referred to as either L-twin or V-twin because, like a standard (90-degree) 'V-8', the cylinders are equally angled with respect to ground-level.
As any intelligent child could point-out, there is indeed a significant difference!
Sight unseen, I'm sure that most would agree that such a difference in "designation" is actually indeed of some use. (Ducati is not the only manufacturer who has offered that type of L-twin!)
And actually Craig, the reason that I really feel the need to call a 'L-twin' a "L-twin", is because I am a 'tech-head', who happens to actually care that everything must stand to logical-reason !

" Who really gives a rip who's more of a twins or singles fan? Does it matter here? If it does I'm in the wrong place. "

____ Well Craig, it kinda seems to me (at least), that maybe that just might be the case...
Cuz it seems as if you haven't noticed that this new w.site is intended primarily (if not exclusively), for SINGLE-CYLINDER Ducati models. _ Which is just what DUKErs like myself have wanted for a long time!
Because it seems that whenever some club or w.site might have some intent to concentrate on the DUKE-singles, it soon gets over-run by all the Duc-twin stuff!
I was hoping that such would not also happen on this w.site as well but, it's looking like that process may be starting here too,, if those such as yourself continue to not care much to honor the original spirit of this w.site!
__ I'm sure that everyone here would love to know about any of your DUKEs, but I, for one, hope that you (and any others) will spare me from having to see anything concerning your non-single, non-bevel DUCKs!
Thanks for any consideration on that!

" All that said, in the US I have heard some people define bevel drives as Dukes and belt drives as Ducks. Whatever. "

____ Well that stands to very good reason! _ As the older fans naturally would prefer to associate their fond memories with 'Royalty' rather than with 'fowl' ! _ Don't-ya-know!?

____ I'm not yanking your antler here Craig! _ Just stating the facts as they are, (and as seen from my older point-of-view).

DUKEs Forever!
-Bob
PLEASE NOTE... If this-post is not-yet signed-off with '-Bob', then I'm still in the process of completing it,, and if not also included with 'DCT' near bottom as well, then I may edit this post's wording at a later time. - Dct.Bob

DesmoDog

Postby DesmoDog » Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:00 am

I didn't talk about twins until you brought them up Bob. I would be quite happy to discuss only my 160, 250, and 350 projects here. However, if I were Paso996, and came back here to find myself having to defend my use of terms to a guy I've never heard of before, I'd probably not be all that excited about coming back.

You have completely missed the point on much of what I've said but I'll leave it at that as to not further derail this thread. I look forward to you sharing some of your knowledge about these bikes.
Last edited by DesmoDog on Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thevin

Postby Thevin » Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:22 am

Come guys can't we all get along...

I've heard Ducati's pronounced several ways, is one better than another? who cares, I'd rather talk about them and see your pictures rather than argue on how to say "DUCATI"

DewCatTea-Bob

Postby DewCatTea-Bob » Wed Nov 25, 2009 5:52 am

by DesmoDog
" You have completely missed the point on much of what I've said but I'll leave it at that as to not further derail this thread. "
" They often disregard the part of a statement they don't understand. Since he doesn't understand it he doesn't think it's significant. Isn't even aware he's overlooked it. "

____ I guess you-can-say-that-again, Craig.
I'd be the first to admit that the words which their writers use, very often either fail to convey their intended point, or, are still somehow misinterpreted by their readers!!
__ So I'm at a loss to understand what you seem to be bent-out-of-shape about. _ And so I hope that it's just beer-talk!
__ IT's ALWAYS my intent to have my writings to be read in a neutral light! _ Therefore any arrogance or other negativity, is solely in-the-eyes-of-the-beholder.
Sorry about that but, I really don't see the problem being on my end. _ (Sure would be nice to get the opinion of a top English-writing professor to analyze what we both have written!)

" What's your story? How about an intro so we can all put a little context behind the bravado? "

____ As for tooting my own horn, I really don't feel like taking the time to do that.
However, I do feel confident that there's no more than a hand-full of people who know as much as I do about stock DUKEs -(OHC-singles). - DCT-Bob

blabber

Postby blabber » Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:54 am

im an aussie-we all say-dew cat ee---its just an accent thing,also duke--never duc--also accent--shortened version of dew cat ee. and i was the 6th to join here--but i thought it was a singles site for ducati owners :lol: :lol: :lol: ---ok back to restos
cheers

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”