Website requests

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

JimF
Site Admin

Re: Website requests

Postby JimF » Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:22 am

Please try again. Setting up the permissions is somehow problematic for me....

JimF
Site Admin

Postby JimF » Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:16 pm

Thanks to Tony Leone for taking the time to look into changing some settings to improve the forum for us all!

Photos can now be up to 2megapixels, and no need to resize. A thumbnail is automatically created.

I invite you to look at Tony's Elite photos that he just added to the photo gallery to see how this improvement looks.

john jupiter

Postby john jupiter » Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:26 am

How about a miscellaneous section? We could chat about good local rides, scenic routes, restaurantes along the way, and general travels and interests? I have only been on here a few days but there seem to be some really good people here. Id like to hear more about what they are up to.
1970 450 Jupiter

DewCatTea-Bob

Postby DewCatTea-Bob » Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:44 am

" How about a miscellaneous section? "

____ I-don't-know John, I think we're trying to stay topic-loyal to just DUCATI-Single related stuff only, posted here within this w.site.

" Id like to hear more about what they are up to. "

____ There is the 'PM' system for going off-topic with those of whom you wish to contact to such further degree.
Have you considered that avenue?

Friendly-Cheers,
-Bob
PLEASE NOTE... If this-post is not-yet signed-off with '-Bob', then I'm still in the process of completing it,, and if not also included with 'DCT' near bottom as well, then I may edit this post's wording at a later time. - Dct.Bob

MotoMike

Postby MotoMike » Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:36 pm

I see in checking the rules that the 3 post limit is still posted there. I know we have discussed this before, but I would like to air it out again. A three post per day limit stifles conversation limits the size of daily contributions.. Even if the limit is not automatically enforced, and there is in fact a larger number of posts possible, it is still in the rules and is therefore limiting some who would post. If you see a post that is interesting and you have something to add, you might think better of it until you perform triage on it and rate your top three responses to the top three posts of interest.

The reason, that it is linked to an email forum seems to restrict the majority of the members for the remote few if any who use email to check this forum.

I'd like to see the limit lifted, "chit chat" not only allowed but encouraged, and a sticky advising so that everyone knows of the change. Since membership is on a case by case basis after vetting by Jim, I don't think it would be a problem.

Kind Regards,
Mike

MotoMike

Postby MotoMike » Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:48 pm

john jupiter wrote:How about a miscellaneous section? We could chat about good local rides, scenic routes, restaurantes along the way, and general travels and interests? I have only been on here a few days but there seem to be some really good people here. Id like to hear more about what they are up to.

I would agree with JJ here. Even the rules allude to an "Off Topic" which I would read as miscellaneous, sub-forum within the site, but I don't seem to find it. It is natural for people who share common interests to want to occasionally talk about other subjects. And if they are of interest to two members and not of a "private" nature, then others might be interested or have input that the target member might not have. What are we afraid of?

Shouldn't this tread "Website Requests" have it's own heading on the board index along with "off topic" instead of being burried in the Ducati Singles talk forum?

Regards,

Mike

Teckhardt

Postby Teckhardt » Tue May 03, 2011 8:37 pm

miken5678 wrote:using ie here and have the same issue but it isnt always the case.. seems on existing messages that I reply to they go out straight away.. new ones.. sometimes they never go

I seem to still be having an issue with PMs sitting in the outbox. Have tried IE and Firefox - no difference. No difference between new messages and responses to incoming. MAC and PC - same deal.

Very strange. :?
1970 450 SCR

JimF
Site Admin

Postby JimF » Wed May 04, 2011 3:12 am

I think we (some people on the forum) determined that your outgoing PMs will continuously appear in your outbox until the recipient opens them.

In this way your outgoing PMs are charged against your file space quota until they are opened by the addressee.

Our mailboxes aren't very big, and I am guessing that the outbox function is configured this way because otherwise one could spitefully send someone else over 50 PMs and max out their quota.

Teckhardt

Postby Teckhardt » Wed May 04, 2011 4:28 am

JimF wrote:I think we (some people on the forum) determined that your outgoing PMs will continuously appear in your outbox until the recipient opens them.

In this way your outgoing PMs are charged against your file space quota until they are opened by the addressee.

Our mailboxes aren't very big, and I am guessing that the outbox function is configured this way because otherwise one could spitefully send someone else over 50 PMs and max out their quota.

Well that makes too much sense. Prob why I didn't see that. My bad.
1970 450 SCR

gregwils

Postby gregwils » Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:22 pm

MotoMike wrote:I see in checking the rules that the 3 post limit is still posted there.
Kind Regards,
Mike

IMHO, I would agree. I also belong to a Porsche forum that has no daily limits. The air-cooled car forum is extremely active - 150k threads, nearly 2M posts. Granted, the large number of older Porsches ensures a larger forum, but the success of the forum is largely attributed to the surprisingly large number of members with several thousand posts, some many thousands. I haven't seen any posting statistics, but I would be willing to guess that 80% of the posts come from 20% of the members. You could consider them to be dominating the board, but they really help create a vibrant and active forum/community. Many have been working on older Porsches for many, many years and are a wealth of knowledge. Apologize for reviving an old thread and hammering a point that may have been previously discussed, just trying to share my experiences over there. Respectfully.
Greg W
1965 Ducati Monza
1966 Ducati Monza (Project)
1966 Ducati Monza Jr
1986 Porsche 911 Carrera
Pittsburgh, PA USA

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”