SAFA 3L3 resurrection?

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

JimF
Site Admin

SAFA 3L3 resurrection?

Postby JimF » Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:03 pm

3L3.jpg

This weekend I uncovered an actual SAFA 3L3 battery. I'd never seen a survivor before though I expect more than a few are out there. When I restored the Mach 1 I recall checking eBay constantly and never seeing one although I gave up the hunt years ago.

There is at least one crack in the case, not that it would be serviceable anyway, but I thought it would be nice to dress up the Mach 1 with the real deal.

What are my options? Hollow it out? And if so has anyone done this and how?

If I saw it open I would like to keep the line as straight as possible and the kerf as minimal as possible. I will confess I don't know much about what kind of saws if any beyond band saws are out there or what industries would have them. I doubt the deli at the local grocery store is going to be amicable to letting me use their meat slicer.

Are there any health issues I should be concerned about if I attempt this?

I am thinking I could seal the crack with sort of black epoxy; any suggestions?

Thanks,

Jim
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sam

Re: SAFA 3L3 resurrection?

Postby Sam » Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:46 am

WHA'S LIKE US
DAMN FEW AND THEY'RE A'DEID

nalimugmug

Postby nalimugmug » Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:45 pm

Hi Jim,

You'll need a hammer, chisel, electric/ battery drill and some safety glasses. Be careful if there is any corrosive material still inside, suggest you don some rubber work gloves and flush the inside of your battery with fresh water.

That's how I attacked mine! I reattached the electrical posts with Devcon putty and then painted the putty black-obviously a solid state battery goes inside.

Hope the pictures help.

Regards

Bob
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

JimF
Site Admin

Postby JimF » Tue Dec 02, 2014 2:15 pm

I do sincerely appreciate that decals are being produced for empty battery boxes as the two provide a fast and easy way to get an authentic look.

But I feel like with the finding of this battery I have been given a rare opportunity to have an authentic 3L3 battery on the battery tray.

Bob; clearly the top comes off, but how is that accomplished? The clean lines on the top of your open and hollowed out box would seem to suggest that the cap and the remainder of the box are not a sealed unit. Is that true? Or did you saw the top off cleanly?

Jim

nalimugmug

Postby nalimugmug » Tue Dec 02, 2014 4:40 pm

Jim,

My battery has a removal lid to be able to gain access to the fill points, is yours not the same, maybe you lid is corroded on, otherwise how are you meant to top up the electrolyte?

I've another original battery somewhere, ill find it tomorrow and post some pics

Cheers

Bob

JimF
Site Admin

Postby JimF » Tue Dec 02, 2014 6:05 pm

Perhaps it does!

I have not yet pulled the battery out of the frame. I just got the frame with the battery in it Sunday night.

I was thinking caps for electrolyte (typical american thinking) but now that you say that I can imagine that cap-less lid coming off to reveal the caps. Duh!

Don't go to the effort to photograph the other battery. I am sure you are right.

Jim

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”