Narrow case or Wide Case

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

Adam

Narrow case or Wide Case

Postby Adam » Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:13 pm

I've read that the rear engine mounts on the wide case are wider than the front mounts and that they are the same on the narrow case. I have a 66-67 Scrambler which, depending on the year would determine which I have right? Unfortunately, there is no paperwork with the bike. I've measured the mounts; front 72mm, rear 77mm (outer measurment). I would thought the diff would be more significant. Can someone tell me what the measurements are for each type?

graeme

Re: Narrow case or Wide Case

Postby graeme » Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:21 am

Hello Adam

Rear mount on a wide case is 205mm
Front is 80mm

Also the so called wide case has a longer "sump" that extends to the rear of the case where the narrow case engine has a shorter sump that stops well before the rear of the cases. (viewed from the side of the engine)
So they could also be called short and long sump?????

Graeme

DewCatTea-Bob

Re: Narrow case or Wide Case

Postby DewCatTea-Bob » Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:13 am

[quote= Adam ...
" I've read that the rear engine mounts on the wide case are wider than the front mounts "

____ It's sort-of odd that the same source didn't also include any mentioning that the rear mounting width looks about twice as wide.

" I have a 66-67 Scrambler which, depending on the year would determine which I have right? "

____ Yes indeed it should, as 1966 was the last year for the n-c.Scrambler and 1967 was the first year for the w-c.version.

" I've measured the mounts; front 72mm, rear 77mm (outer measurment). I would thought the diff would be more significant. "

____ Indeed those two found width-measurements fall into the std.range expected at both the front & rear mounts for n-c.models (which actually is pretty-much the very-same width front & rear).

Duke-Cheers,
-Bob
PLEASE NOTE... If this-post is not-yet signed-off with '-Bob', then I'm still in the process of completing it,, and if not also included with 'DCT' near bottom as well, then I may edit this post's wording at a later time. - Dct.Bob

DewCatTea-Bob

Distinguishing Narrow-case & WideCase Model-versions

Postby DewCatTea-Bob » Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:21 am

[quote= graeme ...
" Also the so called wide case has a longer "sump"
where the narrow case engine has a shorter sump
So they could also be called short and long sump????? "

____ There are actually quite a few other rather obscure differing feature-aspects which the two motor-versions could've been named-after ! - (Such as exposed and hidden lever, [in regards to the more obvious clutch-arm/lever difference], for example.)
__ The very-first/original version-name I recall ever hearing-of, was "wide deck",, which was in reference to the fairly obviously wider (and thusly flatter) width of the motor-case roof -('deck') seen behind the cylinder.
But that area-difference is only really apparent when both motor-versions are seen compared side by side,, and-so the best-way to discern the two versions, is by whether the rather apparent rear mounting-bolt is the same length or obviously longer than the mounting-bolts of the front-mount.

Dukaddy-DUKEs,
-Bob
PLEASE NOTE... If this-post is not-yet signed-off with '-Bob', then I'm still in the process of completing it,, and if not also included with 'DCT' near bottom as well, then I may edit this post's wording at a later time. - Dct.Bob

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”