the 350 has arrived; first problem with it

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

Ventodue

Re: the 350 has arrived; first problem with it

Postby Ventodue » Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:56 pm

cooperplace wrote:Motos Paniagua has quoted me 120 Euro +shipping for the pair! if you know of any other sources, that would be great.

Ha! I know he's previously advertised them at €80 the pair. Reckon he thought he could get more out of an 'extranjero' ... :x . I guess you could make a counter-offer; but it kinda destroys your confidence, no?

Try contacting Andreas Wollf at DUCATI CLASSIC MOTOR CONCEPT in Calpe:
classicmotorconcept@yahoo.de
http://www.classicmotorconcept.com/venta/

He has bits and, even if he's not advertising any at the mo', he may have some panels (or know where to find some). As you may have guesed from his name, he's German, not Spanish. Which, depending on your prejudices, may count for something .. or not ;)

cooperplace

Postby cooperplace » Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:57 pm

Thank you, I've emailed him. While I might have some prejudices, I'm probably OK with Germans, as many of my ancestors are from there!

It's interesting that Bologna bikes had Barcelona-made engines: makes you wonder how many?
be nice, I'm not very bright.

Ventodue

Postby Ventodue » Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:55 pm

cooperplace wrote:It's interesting that Bologna bikes had Barcelona-made engines: makes you wonder how many?

Towards the end of the singles production, a fair few, by all accounts. All the w/c 250 Scramblers - and these in their entirety. And the engines (at least) of the 350 Scramblers and Mark 3s, for example. However, as I understand it, the 450 was never made in Spain, nor were the Desmos - well, at least not the top-ends anyway.

All this was linked to Bologna droppng the singles in favour of the twins, both 'L' and parallel.

You know, the more you research into Ducati's history, the more you realise how big a part Motorans played in it, both in terms of manufacturing and in racing. This despite the fact many of the great names of Italian racing such as Farné, Spaggiari and Villa raced extensively in Spain, to say nothing of the Spanish racers themselves like Fargas, Reyes and Grau. It's a role that is generally understated, largely I suspect 'cos the bikes weren't much exported, the best known exceptions being the 24 Horas and the 250/350 Roads; and also 'cos of the language barrier for English-speaking authors. Neither of the two reference works on Motorans that I know of, for example, have been translated into English, for example.

Here's the first Mototrans Ducati coming off the line. Accordiing to Marc Poels, l'Histoire de Ducati, the date is 2 December 1959 and the bike is a 125 Sport. That's Ricardo Fargas in the middle, btw:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Ventodue on Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cooperplace

Postby cooperplace » Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:46 pm

they look very young!
be nice, I'm not very bright.

Ventodue

Postby Ventodue » Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:23 pm

cooperplace wrote:they look very young!

As indeed they were! Ricardo Fargas was a mere 24 ...

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”