Monza 160 gearbox

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

DougW

Monza 160 gearbox

Postby DougW » Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:51 pm

I am in the process of putting a 1966 Monza Jr. engine back together. All the transmission gears are on the splines in the correct order, as I never removed when I took the engine apart. It appears to me that the shifting drum and the forks can really only fit back into the gears one way. (is that the case?) I seem to be able to manually shift through all the gears as long as I am turning the shafts. Does the gearbox need to be in neutral when I put it back together, and if so, how do I know what is neutral and not just in-between gears? Any and all info is appreciated. -Doug

DewCatTea-Bob

Re: Monza 160 gearbox

Postby DewCatTea-Bob » Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:51 pm

[quote= Doug ...
" It appears to me that the shifting drum and the forks can really only fit back into the gears one way. (is that the case?) "

____ I'd assume so but, I've never checked to see if it was at all possible to do otherwise.

" I seem to be able to manually shift through all the gears as long as I am turning the shafts. "

____ That's as is expected, because otherwise there's a chance that the possible alignment-arrangements of some of the dog-sets will happen to collide atop one-another rather than engage-together (unless the dog arrangements are-not kept stagnant).

" Does the gearbox need to be in neutral when I put it back together, "

____ While that's the preferred arrangement, it really ought-not be necessary.

" how do I know what is neutral and not just in-between gears? "

____ Take-note of the near-vertical position of the female-slot in the driver-shaft of the shifter-box when it's set in it's neutral-position, and-then see to it that the corresponding male shaft-tip of the selector-drum is rotated into that same near-vertical position.
(Sorry if that's so simplistic it causes you to think the common-thought: 'Now why didn't I think of that ?'.)

Duke-Cheers,
-Bob
PLEASE NOTE... If this-post is not-yet signed-off with '-Bob', then I'm still in the process of completing it,, and if not also included with 'DCT' near bottom as well, then I may edit this post's wording at a later time. - Dct.Bob

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”