Piston ring position

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

Sam

Piston ring position

Postby Sam » Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:03 pm

Can someone please inform me on the position of Borgo piston rings. There is a chrome ring and a black ring with a step the oil ring is self explanatory. I am assuming the Chrome ring is in the top grove but which way does the step in the black ring face, to the top or on the bottom side?

Thank you in advance Sam
WHA'S LIKE US
DAMN FEW AND THEY'RE A'DEID

LaceyDucati

Re: Piston ring position

Postby LaceyDucati » Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:04 pm

Sam

Top ring either way (unless already used, as will be bedded in), step (part missing) to the bottom for the second ring. Oil ring has the chamfered sides to the top.

Nigel

Sam

Postby Sam » Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:53 pm

Thank you!
WHA'S LIKE US

DewCatTea-Bob

Postby DewCatTea-Bob » Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:02 pm

[quote= Sam ...
" I am assuming the Chrome ring is in the top grove but which way does the step in the black ring face, to the top or on the bottom side? "

____ While you're right about which groove-position the chrome-ring is intended for,, it's supposed to be common mechanic's knowledge that any mfg.mark seen on one side of any p.ring (near it's gap-end), is supposed to be the side that faces upward.
And although different manufacturers assign various such 'TOP' markings, I believe all the Borgo-rings have their indicator-marking appearing rather like 'AE'. _ So look for that mfg.mark to always be inserted top-ward.

Dukaddy-DUKEs,
-Bob
PLEASE NOTE... If this-post is not-yet signed-off with '-Bob', then I'm still in the process of completing it,, and if not also included with 'DCT' near bottom as well, then I may edit this post's wording at a later time. - Dct.Bob

Sam

Postby Sam » Sat Nov 22, 2014 4:45 am

DewCatTea-Bob wrote:[quote= Sam ...
" I am assuming the Chrome ring is in the top grove but which way does the step in the black ring face, to the top or on the bottom side? "

____ While you're right about which groove-position the chrome-ring is intended for,, it's supposed to be common mechanic's knowledge that any mfg.mark seen on one side of any p.ring (near it's gap-end), is supposed to be the side that faces upward.
And although different manufacturers assign various such 'TOP' markings, I believe all the Borgo-rings have their indicator-marking appearing rather like 'AE'. _ So look for that mfg.mark to always be inserted top-ward.

Dukaddy-DUKEs,
-Bob

Rings were old stock and had to be cleaned using wire wool which remeoved any chance of finding manufacturers markings and I was well aware of manufacturers markings. hence why I had to ask a simple question for a simple answer ;)
WHA'S LIKE US

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”