12v conversion 66 narowcase m3

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

Bevel bob

12v conversion 66 narowcase m3

Postby Bevel bob » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:17 am

I have converted my batt ign bike to 12v by fitting Pod reg/voltage controller and detached the earth tags in the stator and soldered them together (60 w), all seems well and no trouble keeping up battery although not done any long night rides, did i need to do anything different to the stator?does not seem to make any differerence which way i connect the 2 yellow stator leads to the pod?.What sort of output am i getting?

DewCatTea-Bob

Re: 12v conversion 66 narowcase m3

Postby DewCatTea-Bob » Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:13 pm

" I have converted my batt ign bike to 12v by fitting Pod reg/voltage controller and detached the earth tags in the stator and soldered them together (60 w) "

____ First-off, you indicate a narrow-case Mk3, but with a 6-pole 60-watt alternator? _ If so, that's not the stock alternator ya know !?
__ Anyhow, I'm not familiar with your "Pod" controller, but still, I suspect that you've done your 12-volt conversion correctly.
Un-grounding the stator's two lead-ends/"tags" and leaving them both connected to each other is the simplest method to convert to a 12-volt system. _ Although that way, running with the lights off will be hard on the voltage controller !
(I intend to address such various system modifications within the related thread which I started for such!)

" did i need to do anything different to the stator? "

____ Well not if you're like most who don't care to do more complex wiring jobs. _ But if I had done the job, I would've added two more wire-leads (connected to the two ungrounded coil-winding lead-ends).
(Keep watch for further related info, which I'll get to within the proper thread for such.)

" does not seem to make any differerence which way i connect the 2 yellow stator leads to the pod? "

____ Well assuming that your "Pod" unit includes a normal bridge-rectifier,, then no, it really doesn't mater what the 'absolute-phase' of the AC input actually is !

" What sort of output am i getting? "

____ That's a good question, as I don't really know what your 'Pod-unit' actually does !
If it were no more than a full-wave bridge set-up, then you should expect at least 5 amps @ 12-volts (during mid-RPM range), but I wouldn't be surprised to actually measure up to 120-watts output from such a modified set-up.

DUKE-Cheers,
DCT-Bob
PLEASE NOTE... If this-post is not-yet signed-off with '-Bob', then I'm still in the process of completing it,, and if not also included with 'DCT' near bottom as well, then I may edit this post's wording at a later time. - Dct.Bob

Bevel bob

Postby Bevel bob » Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:51 pm

If its doing 120 watts thats plenty and i'll run with the headlamp on to give the reg an easier time, I'm guessing but i think that my m3 is one of the Hannah imports 66-67 model and i understand they were coil ign/battery 60 watt as per Mach1.I'm also running an electronic Ign which draws some current.I will look forward to your article on 12v conv.THe pod regulator is a modern finned unit designed to replace zener diode and rectifier on typical 60s brit bikes 120 watt lucas alt.

nortnlvr

Postby nortnlvr » Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:42 pm

Bob,

I've just about got my 12v. wiring done for my 1969 Mark 3. I'm using a 35/35watt bulb in the headlight, I put a plain toggle switch in the 5/8 hole at the top of the headlight, until I can find an original. I did wire the bike to use the original ignition switch! I plan to use the LED 1157 buld in the tail. Just to let everyone know an older Ski-doo snowmobile 12volt bulb fits nicely into the Single Ducati Aprilla headlight! I understand that skidoo made 25/25 watt bullbs too. I'm trying to locate one off those so it is less draw on the altenator!

DewCatTea-Bob

Postby DewCatTea-Bob » Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:40 pm

____ Nice to see you finally posting concerning your rare w-c Mk3 Mike !

" I've just about got my 12v. wiring done for my 1969 Mark 3. "

____ Great, but I'd like to stay updated & know what wiring-plans you're going with, cuz I especially interested in your particular project !

" I did wire the bike to use the original ignition switch! "

____ I thought you had lost the key or something, which kept you from being able to use that preferred 3-terminal stock key-switch !?

" I plan to use the LED 1157 buld in the tail. "

____ That should be a good idea,, only thing is is that I've heard that ya need to use a red-colored unit, as the white/clear-versions don't produce much light once it's filtered through a red-lens !?

" I understand that skidoo made 25/25 watt bullbs too. I'm trying to locate one off those so it is less draw on the altenator! "

____ If you're sticking with the dual full-wave rectification set-up that we were intending, then using a 55/60-watt bulb should be fine, (as far as your modified charging-system is concerned).
__ The only reason I can think of for using just a 25/25-watt headlight, is if your state requires lights-on at all times, AND, most all your riding is done within a large city that always has bumper-to-bumper traffic with long-duration traffic-lights at every intersection ! - (In other words, your DUKE will spend most of it's running time near idle, with lights on.)
As the only good that such a low-power light would be of any real use for, is to help make yourself noticed by other city-traffic.
__ I'm sure I'm not the only one here who would think that such riding -(within a city) would be a sad waste of any DUKE !

____ Note to 'nortnlvr' and all others of us here... Please keep in mind that most every single one of my reply-postings (like this one is), are written as if expected to be read by more than just the person who's post I'm replying to,, and thus worded quite differently than if my response was meant to be as a 'PM' !
Just making the point cuz I don't wish for any single person (who's post I'm replying to), to feel as if I seem to be 'talking-down' to them (as if assumed they had had no-clue at all, before-hand) ! _ I just wish make most subject-matter clear enough so that even any green new-comer -(to DUKE-ownership) could more easily catch-on to whatever the related topic.

Dukaddy-DUKE Cheers,
DCT-Bob
PLEASE NOTE... If this-post is not-yet signed-off with '-Bob', then I'm still in the process of completing it,, and if not also included with 'DCT' near bottom as well, then I may edit this post's wording at a later time. - Dct.Bob

nortnlvr

Postby nortnlvr » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:24 am

Bob,

[*]I'll see if I can put together a wiring diagram
[*]I bought a new key
[*]I will remember the red LED when I buy it
[*]In MN we are required to have the light on at all times. the 35/35 puts out some pretty good light! My main point here is that if you can't find a light bulb, find a vintage Ski-doo dealer and your troubles are solved! Took me a long time to find the 12volt bulb!
[*] I used aircraft wire for the majority of the wiring
[*] I stayed with the 12 volt conversion you talked be through.
[*] I appreciate your responses, after all, had you not contacted me during my ebay auction my Mark 3 would have been gone!

miken5678

Postby miken5678 » Sun May 09, 2010 6:10 pm

where did you source your wire from?

nortnlvr

Postby nortnlvr » Tue May 11, 2010 1:34 am

aircraft spruce and specialty, or Stein air inc. They have the really good amp terminals too. Much better than the cheap terminals from an auto store!

nortnlvr

Postby nortnlvr » Tue May 11, 2010 1:49 am

aircraft spruce and specialty, or Stein air inc. They have the really good amp terminals too. Much better than the cheap terminals from an auto store!

miken5678

Postby miken5678 » Wed May 12, 2010 12:01 am

http://www.steinair.com/wire.htm

what did you end up picking up?

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”