Clutch repair question

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

single-junk

Clutch repair question

Postby single-junk » Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:39 pm

So I've the the engine to my 66 250 Monza all stripped down in prep for rebuild, going pretty well considering this is my first Duc teardown!

Clutch disks appear to be original, and as such; pretty worn out. I've seen kits on several of the duc supplier websites, those with complete sets including steel plates and also those without them..

Noting the decent price difference, is there any reason why I would want a full kit over just a new disk set?

Thanks

Jordan

Re: Clutch repair question

Postby Jordan » Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:21 pm

Steel plates can deform in use, to the extent that they cause clutch drag.
Not such an issue with the friction plates, as any deformation is soon worn down at the contact surfaces. But that can't happen with the steel plates, and you're stuck with any lack of flatness.
So, if you don't need to fix drag, just the friction plates should do.

Sam

Postby Sam » Wed Nov 05, 2014 6:50 pm

Lacey Ducati do an upgrade for the clutch which include thicker steel plates to combat warping.
WHA'S LIKE US
DAMN FEW AND THEY'RE A'DEID

single-junk

Postby single-junk » Fri Nov 07, 2014 12:20 pm

The steel plates all look pretty good to me, no warping or irregular wear from what I can see. Friction plates it is!

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”