New to forum

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

Adam

New to forum

Postby Adam » Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:17 am

Hi All
I've had a 66 Ducati Scrambler in storage for the last 5 years. It was originally purchased by my dad in Durango, Co. and passed around to his brothers since. I was able to buy it off of my uncle and am recently able to put some time into it. The pictures show the current condition which is pretty nice. My uncle said he was in the process of restoring it but wasn't able to get very far. From the photo, it looks like he was going for the typical black/silver color scheme. After some discussion with my mother, she remembered it being red. Sure enough, after working on the tank, some of the black paint lifted up and revealed a metallic red/maroon color. I've yet to find a photo of a 66 scrambler with this color.
Now I don't have much experience with motorcycles but am a quick study and would like to get this running. I'll think about a restore after that point. So far the rust has been removed from the tank and the inside sealed. I'm currently working on the carburetor(dellorto ss1 27 d). Can these carburetors be taken completely apart or are there some bolts that shouldn't be attempted. I ask because some are very stubborn.

Thanks

Adam
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

JimF
Site Admin

Re: New to forum

Postby JimF » Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:42 pm

Hi Adam,

Probably the old fuel that was left in the carb turned to varnish and has frozen up the banjo bolts and the like.

They are kind of soft metal and I have seem many buggered up ones so use wrenches that fit the bolt faces well.

Soak the carb in a bucket of carb cleaner for a week perhaps ahead of starting to try disassemble again.

The bad thing is that the carbs were painted silver and the carb cleaner will take that paint off, but at this point there may not be much of the paint on the carb or perhaps you would rather have a working carb than a painted carb.

The carb is rather simplistic. I think I have a SSI29 manual on the site somewhere. Yours is the same save for being a touch smaller but still a rare and highly desired carb.

Jim

double diamond

Postby double diamond » Wed Nov 05, 2014 6:19 pm

Adam, have a look at this post: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1705&p=12442&hilit=needle+jet#p12442
Or search “rebuilding a delorto SSi 29D”
The SSI 29 is basically the same as your SSI 27
Matt

Adam

Postby Adam » Fri Nov 07, 2014 4:11 am

Thanks Jim. I've been able to make progress daily. Got the main body and the bowl separated and partially dismantled. The fuel filter was full of dirt. The rest just has gunk that I'd suspect is old fuel. Parts generally look good and should clean up fine though I think there might be a pocket of rust on the bottom of the bowl. Can I use the gaskets that are in place or do those need to be replaced when dismantled? Haven't been able to find any kits for this type of carb online. The bolts referred to are the choke plug and the bottom nut &nut according to the diagram double diamond ref'd.

Adam

Postby Adam » Fri Nov 07, 2014 4:12 am

double diamond wrote:Adam, have a look at this post: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1705&p=12442&hilit=needle+jet#p12442
Or search “rebuilding a delorto SSi 29D”
The SSI 29 is basically the same as your SSI 27
Matt

Thanks Matt. That post was very helpful.

-Adam

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”