Cracked oil pan

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

asmith411

Cracked oil pan

Postby asmith411 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:05 pm

After cleaning up the engine on my 250 Ducati wide case single, I discovered that there were cracks in the oil pan on the kicker side of the engine and the side cover. It had been repaired with JD weld. The oil pan appears to have leaked oil in the past. The side panel is being repaired by aluminum weld. Do you suggest repairing the oil pan with weld or replacing the casing, which may be hard to do?
I will have to pull the gears, etc. to fix or replace the engine casing. Pulling the gears requires a special tool. Does Harbor Freight or another tool place have a similar tool that will work? Any advise is appreciated.

Thanks, Art

double diamond

Re: Cracked oil pan

Postby double diamond » Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:31 pm

The only special tool that is absolutely required to disassemble the engine cases is a flywheel puller. These can be had from mbsmfg.com. By removing the head and cylinder, primary gear, flywheel and clutch, you should be able to remove the left side center case while leaving the crankshaft and transmission intact in the right side case. Matt

Nick

Postby Nick » Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:40 pm

After you get it apart take the cases to someone who has experience welding motorcycle engine cases and all will be well.
Put a Mikuni on it!

Eldert

Postby Eldert » Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:52 pm

Hi Art

if the cases are oil tight i would leave it like it is .

Ducati used Araldite epoxy themselves on leaking or poreus beveltwin cases .

Eldert

asmith411

Postby asmith411 » Sat Nov 08, 2014 5:04 pm

Thanks Eldert, I checked out the Araldite website. There are 2 products that they suggested. Aradite Repair 50g or Araldite Metal Repair 94g. I also looked at Loctite 4090 Hybrid Adhesive which is good for a higher temperature 300deg C.
I've abandoned the welding option as too costly.
Any recommendation of which product to use is appreciated.
Thanks,
Art

Eldert

Postby Eldert » Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:38 am

Hi Art

i think that most epoxy's wil work . i use Manley micacle seal epoxy because that what i have laying around for cilinderhead repair . JB weld might work to . make sure the the crankcase is clean and oilfree .

Eldert

asmith411

Postby asmith411 » Sun Nov 09, 2014 1:49 pm

Thanks, Eldert, Now it's decision time, which product to use.

Art

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”