valve spring compressor

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

Sam

valve spring compressor

Postby Sam » Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:58 pm

Can someone post up a picture of the valve spring compressor for the Ducati springs please or has someone made something up to allow compression of the spring to fit the collets some measurements would be handy as well. Feel reluctant to spend £70 on something that will only be used once in a blue moon. thank you in advance. Sam
WHA'S LIKE US
DAMN FEW AND THEY'RE A'DEID

Jordan

Re: valve spring compressor

Postby Jordan » Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:21 pm

Photos of factory tool, and someone's improvised version from a G-clamp.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

graeme

Postby graeme » Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:26 pm

Hello Sam
I used a short piece of aluminium channel and a G clamp about 25mm long x 25mm ID x 30mm high.
The channel sits over the collet retainer and the G clamp foot under the valve face.
A bit fiddly but very cheap
Graeme

Sam

Postby Sam » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:38 am

Cheers for the replys I have ordered a cheap fleabay compressor which should easily be converted to take the above attachments.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/390908393303? ... EBIDX%3AIT
WHA'S LIKE US

tobydmv

Postby tobydmv » Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:16 pm

That kit should work nicely. I have a custom made adapter and use a large C clamp. The adapter is round but it still worked on the rectangular spring plate. Someone with a mill should churn out a few adapters in square fashion to fit the ducati hair spring tab. I would buy one.

DucRedux

Postby DucRedux » Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:24 pm

tobydmv wrote:That kit should work nicely. I have a custom made adapter and use a large C clamp. The adapter is round but it still worked on the rectangular spring plate. Someone with a mill should churn out a few adapters in square fashion to fit the ducati hair spring tab. I would buy one.

I too have used a large C-clamp in conjunction with a rectangular, metal electrical utility box cut down to bridge the valve springs. Imagine a box cut at about 2/3 and notched at the base at a width so that the valve springs lock in side- to- side which prevents slippage. See: http://www-public.tnb.com/ps/fulltilt/i ... rt=5836134

Sam

Postby Sam » Sat Nov 01, 2014 2:21 pm

Cheers I will try with a piece of box section in the mean time I made a clutch holding tool

even found a use for the old clutch basket :D a handy holding jig.

WHA'S LIKE US

Sam

Postby Sam » Mon Nov 03, 2014 5:27 pm

£11.95 valve spring compressor. ;)

WHA'S LIKE US

Jordan

Postby Jordan » Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:42 pm

Looks good, Sam.

Recluse

Postby Recluse » Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:18 pm

Howdy all, new guy here. I made up a couple of valve spring compressors based off of another post here at Motoscrubs (can't find the thread now...)

They are simply a couple of .25" pins through a piece of 1" x 12" x .25" thick flat stock. Pins are held in by o-rings so they don't fall out and get lost. I had to grind off one corner of each where it interfered with the guide at full compression. To use them you take out the bottom pin, slide the tool through the spring and reinsert the pin. Easy and cheap!

valvespring_tool.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”